Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am
All times are UTC + 0
Hot air ballons! XD
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:  Hot air ballons! XD Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you've talked to me on msn, you may have seen some previews of these, (I usually post WIP's as my msn pic)
First off I have Ixith to thank for giving me the ridiculous idea to make these hot air balloons in the first place #Tongue

This is my 15th voxel (if you don't count the multiple versions that I made)
And yea, these took a LOT of work to make, as round voxels are a big pain in the rear. Spotlight would be greatly appreciated Wink

EVA report:
Hot air balloons can be incredibly strategical units.
since they don't use any sort of mechanical engines, they are un-targetable by surace-to-air equipment, save for the Firestorm Defense system.
Unfortunately, they can't function with complete GPS, so they can't reveal shroud, and they only have room enough for a few infantry.
Despite these disadvantages, you might find hot air balloons to be fairly useful
(the code for this is contained in the README file Wink )

The concept:

3D views:

Ingamers:

ZIP:

HAB civ1 civ2 gdi nod.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  HAB civ1 civ2 gdi nod.zip
 Filesize:  393.98 KB
 Downloaded:  799 Time(s)

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Last edited by Team Black on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolute genius.

Assault a base by jumping out of a wicker basket #Tongue

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats some good voxelin man...but...

Why the fu$"£%k would you............one fat AA shell should take care of that... before it could see anything...

But It would be fun diving of it and raiding a base like Daz said.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice..make a observation balloon?

warlord
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd say you'd have to have the strength VERY low being its a baloon and all. #Tongue

Signature By Aro^

"So long as there are men, there will be wars." - Albert Einstein.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well the problem with a functional (non-carryall) air transport is that it's invincible during flight (except to firestorm), and that it can't reveal shroud -

thanks for the comments, I totally appreciate it Smile

The Team Black Index

Xeno
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL! Thats good work there Team Black. Just the concept behind it made me laugh for some reason...

Styledatol
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, ideally, balloons provide interesting tactics. I mean, with a lack of sophisticated electrical parts, its hardly noticeable by a radar, not to mention the fact that no one will be expecting an attack from an air balloon.

...too bad TS doesn't follow logic.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hot air balloons in military service, in the 21st century? Laughing

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
And hot air baloons.

Corsair
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be funny to see that be a carry-all

Little balloon picks up a disrupter XD

Dreadlord
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although the idea of having military baloons in 2030 seems a bit insane, I liked it a lot Smile would be nice transport for infantry.

Tyler Adams
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tbh, I'd prefer to be safe + sound in an Orca Transport, but personal preferences..

"Banned" RP here

ihateharriers
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Styledatol wrote:
well, ideally, balloons provide interesting tactics. I mean, with a lack of sophisticated electrical parts, its hardly noticeable by a radar, not to mention the fact that no one will be expecting an attack from an air balloon.

...too bad TS doesn't follow logic.

ummm, radar isn't dependent on electronics, radar uses waves to detect objects, much like a bat. and judging by the largeness of the balloon, it's gonna have one hell of a radar signature Laughing

anyways, those are nice voxels, although it would appear that the normals might need a bit of tweaking. that could be hard, however, becaue of the inherent problems with TS normals as well as the fact that it's a circle made of cubes Confused

godd job, keep up the good work Very Happy

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUMP!

spotlight yet? #Tongue

The Team Black Index

TX1138
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spotlight? Rolling Eyes What spotlight?

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it deserves a spotlight.

As for usefulness, personally I just see it as civilan units, GDI and Nod versions can be their propoganda machine Cool

k212
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe a mission -> baloon hunting(like harvester hunting) and you only have a few rocket infantry and there's a timer like 30 min and you have to destroy all baloons

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I say spotlight cause its a very original idea and its a nice voxel.

oh and I have the best mission idea for these things. It fits so perfectly with Nod. Doesn't Team Black Very Happy

shinji
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spotlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!