Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Mapping Duel
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject:  Mapping Duel
Subject description: Wess VS. Ixith
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The title and subject description says it all. I am challenging Wess to a mapping duel to decide the better MP mapper.

More info Here at Tibweb

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh wow i can't wait to see how this turns out...

will Wess reply? Very Happy

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My money's on Ixith. I know he'll win this one for sure. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cant really see the point in having a dule, why not do another mapping competition. You two are just as good as each other.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still no reply from Wess on this. Sad

However several people have offered being a judge for this event over at Tibweb and even more seem to be getting hyped up about it. So I think the people of PPM should join in!

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it sounds like fun! Very Happy

wonder if Wess will reply....

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
wonder if Wess will reply....
I wouldn't. This serves only to masturbate one's ego.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's public mapping competitions for this kind of thing? Wait for the next TS OMC and bolster your ego then instead. Better yet, instead of trying to boast how great you are, why not ask if you can judge when the next OMC starts so you can pass constructive criticism to other people? Just a thought.

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

itt:E-penis comparing.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnotaurus wrote:
itt:E-penis comparing.

itt: lame attempts to get maps made.

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no need to, anyways. All TS maps are the same deserts with one or two civilian towns around that are dead ,the same 3 civvies, ect.

Now if they tried to build maps that arent standard, like, cities, or remake classic RA maps, or somethign new...that'd be nice.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's threads like these that remind me what a respectable, intelligent community PPM is.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Creagor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It's threads like these that remind me what a respectable, intelligent community PPM is.

Team Black, I salute you, I must admit that line had me laughing Very Happy. You summed up my exact thoughts.

Interesting also is how once one person decides to take the derogatory tone everyone else jumps on the bandwagon in an attempt to suck up some of the reflected... whatever it is.

Personally I see nothing wrong with something like this, it's a friendly competition between some of the finest mappers in the community, which benefits them by letting them express the whole creative talent thing, and benefits the community in the long term by giving them two new awesome maps. Ixith, and Wess if you are reading this, Best of luck to both of you Wink

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wess has given reply on tibweb..

"the OMC is not that far away ya know, i rather spend my time preparing for that, but i'll take your challange on a later date after the OMC.

note: unless you can produce some high respected judges ( i prefer former OMC judges ) and someone that i personaly trust to recieve those maps, ( the only person i trust with that is Banshee ) there is no deal."

Here: http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2584

Seems like I won't be able to judge though Razz

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol yes Wess has replied that he WILL take the challenge however only on those conditions. So now we wait until after the TS edition of the OMC and I have to go find and contact the proper people for the judging and everything.

@Creagor and TB: thanks for supporting guys.

Clazzy wrote:
There's public mapping competitions for this kind of thing? Wait for the next TS OMC and bolster your ego then instead. Better yet, instead of trying to boast how great you are, why not ask if you can judge when the next OMC starts so you can pass constructive criticism to other people? Just a thought.

-Yes there are public mapping competitions but to make it a simple duel between me and Wess would bring a different kind of feeling to it rather than just another broad competition.
-I also do plan on participating in the next TS OMC along with this.
-No, its not an ego boost its simply to bring some fun into the community.
-I don't need to judge a competition to give constructive criticism. I can do that after the competition and the maps are released anyways and most likely will to any TS mapping event. Just as I usually do for new TS maps that are released to public.

@Carno's 2nd post
There are some different maps out there. But if you really don't want to be arsed to go find them then maybe you should try making those maps yourself instead of always complaining.

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, so he should try to make a map and give the idea a bad image instead of going to someone who could do it and maybe make the maps appear more often?

Gotta always consider why people don't do it all by themselves. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
-Yes there are public mapping competitions but to make it a simple duel between me and Wess would bring a different kind of feeling to it rather than just another broad competition.

What? Increase general elitism? A general competition gives everyone a chance because everyone has an even chance of winning, reducing the choice of people to two just takes the fun out for other people.
Quote:
-I also do plan on participating in the next TS OMC along with this.

Good for you, you'll both be entering that and there will also be the decrease in bias due to the hiding of identity.
Quote:

Woo.
Quote:
-I don't need to judge a competition to give constructive criticism. I can do that after the competition and the maps are released anyways and most likely will to any TS mapping event. Just as I usually do for new TS maps that are released to public.

You don't need to judge a competition to do it, no, but you'd be respected far more as a mapper because people care what proper judges have to say about their map over others. Virtually all the good mappers in the community either stopped mapping or get bored and judge in the OMCs instead because there's quite honestly only so many times you can go about making maps over and over without reusing lots of similar ideas. Maps now are of an excellent visual standard but they all play in the same way and that's no longer fun. Mod maps with basic layouts made several years ago are now more fun than the maps we had over the past year or so. I look at some of the TW maps that people have made, some are like TS maps now because they're full of detail and intricate layouts. However, the map makers aren't paying attention to how the map plays, you might have a crazy tiberium spike in the middle as a central area to fight over but is that innovative or creative? It works, yes, but it's no fun when 50% of the other maps have done it too. Maps have to add something new and introduce new dynamics to increase the fun, something TS mappers don't seem capable of doing any more. When a fresh mind comes to the community, they might have ideas and images in their head about how a map should be, now that you've effectively reached some sort of peak (let's face it, I doubt most mappers around your skill can make anything much better) you have to pass the knowledge along so the new ideas can grow to something better. Sometimes the TS engine is too limited (looking at some of the TW maps there, blatantly so) but people need to branch out and try new things with their maps and unless you're claiming you can do that, why bother any more?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the TS engine issomewhat old, and might not support as much as the oobertastic newer games, still doesn't mean it's not fun to make maps for.

Personally, I'm tired of always trying to get the newest & best thing, since as soon as I get it, something even newer and better is going to come out and replace it.

Call me a weirdo, since I bought TS/FS in 2000, I still haven't gotten tired of it. Pretty much the only games I own are NES and SNES ROMs, some odd DOS games, and the Westwood CNC's.
And it's still all enough to burn my free time with #Tongue

There's still a good many oddball things we can do in maps with a good knowledge of triggers and modding, in fact Ixith an me brainstormed a bunch a cool maps we could think up (I haven't gotten the chance to put any together yet, except for a beta of "Batlleship" )

The Team Black Index

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well the TS engine issomewhat old, and might not support as much as the oobertastic newer games, still doesn't mean it's not fun to make maps for.

But they're not fun to play, that's my point (sorry if I didn't make it clear enough). All the maps just play the same and people aren't being creative enough. If you really have some map concepts that are a bit different it would be great to see them come to reality.

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clazzy has a point. We've seen beautiful maps. Most maps these days are, most better than WW's originals.

But they all play the same.

And I highly doubt Wes will reply or agree. I haven't seen him in a while. And last time I did speak to him, he was mapping in 3D, so. I doubt the duel would occur. Not that I was pro the idea anyway. 9/10 times, a duel is just an ego boost.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it just sounds stupid and reminds me of those silly school ground tournaments.

I'll show you my map if you show me yours which is of course a sexual reference.

The fact is not many people do map making because they find it a chore and because it takes so long to make a decent map which is fun to play.

Missions or scripted events make it interesting but of course that takes time.

You should be encouraging others to get into map design, maybe even posting tutorials instead of sounding snobbish or how making maps for TS is somehow "elite"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thoughts have pretty much been summed up, a dual is a bit of a silly idea, it doesn't really bolster much enthusiasm, and an OMC is a much better place to submit a map even if your only goal is to be competitive.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:

Bollocks... You just want to prove you're better at something than "The mapping God"... Right?

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he is better at something, triggers Wink
as far as i know i agreed but not really so far, who am i to ignore a challenge, if the mood will be there thats something else lol. just dont bug me to fast after the OMC, altho people here make sence to me tho, the OMC is a better place for it. but i'm not really intrested in winning the OMC just joining, its kinda like the first time i joined the OMC, only worked on it for a handfull of days, i bet the same will happen this time. if i would give it a 100% i would tell u.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe Ix and Wess should be judges for the OMC, and do this as a competition on the side

Get two birds with the same gun.

The Team Black Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon