Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 am
All times are UTC + 0
Cliffs are giving me a headache.
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject:  Cliffs are giving me a headache.
Subject description: FinalSun
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello gentlemen.

This evening I threw myself into TS/FS map making.
Everything wen't like a dream until I confronted cliffs.

I was wondering if some of you have some tips and tricks for cliff placing, or would like to share your methods. #infinity

Thank you in advance. -Jehal

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go into marble madness (framework) mode, and use the hotkey to display every tile on the same plane ("D" or "Ctrl + D" or something... I forget).
That's how I'd do it.

EDIT for D.

Last edited by Orac on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ctrl-F

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:
Ctrl-F

To clarify, Ctrl+F toggles the framework mode on/off. D (no need to push Ctrl even) does alter the map view by moving all tiles to the same level, just like Orac said. Can make placing cliffs bit easier in some cases.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why can't you add additional terrain types' marble terrain files to Marble.mix?
Default theaters are in there, but you cannot add new ones.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Highly appreciated! I'll post whatever maps I'll make on PPM.

Thank you all for the help.

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP my man you just solve my problem too it gave me tons of headaches in cliffs Very Happy

Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I have one more question.

Is there a way to disable placing snapping?
The snapping is making it hard to place cliffs behind each other.

Thanks in advance.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

snapping? Don't really know what you mean. You can only press D to make the map view in flat mode, so you can easier place something behind a high area.

In the options menu you can also disable Auto-LAT, auto-Shore and Slope-Correction if that's what you mean.

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never used the flat mode, in complex maps it's only confusing. If you have trouble placing tiles behind cliffs, try the hide tools on the toolbar to hide the cliff pieces that are in your way. These tools are extremely handy.

If by "snapping" you mean that the cliff tiles you try to place don't align properly, try the aforementioned hide tools to hide the cliff pieces on the front.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah better to do the cliff backs first since going "back to font" causes that kind of 'snapping' effect. Pressing D temporarily puts all tiles on one level, like others have said, making it easier in those situations. Just remember not to overlap any parts of the cliffs while in that mode.

Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I meant by snapping, is that it's hard to place cliffs behind cliffs that are in the way. I thought maybe you could disable the snapping, so that you can place on the grid, instead of ground level (ie. x,y,z).

As OmegaBolt says it's probably just best to start with the backsides of the cliffs. In any case, that is what works best as of now.

Thank you again for the fast support.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have a 2D interface and a 3D environment. Without camera rotation it's logical that there needs to be a different way to circumvent this, and this is either using the flat mode or the hide tile mode.

Public SHPs

Tools

Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am used to work with 2D and isometric perspectives. I't's just that I'm not used to work in FinalSun. I'm getting the hang of the work flow fast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon