Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Voxelgeddon: Ion Platform [TS]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject:  Voxelgeddon: Ion Platform [TS]
Subject description: Orac's Entry - 2nd Place
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro

Detail: 9/10
The second I recieved this submission, I had a good feeling that you'd more than likely be the winner of the competition. There is an incredible amount of detail thrown into this unit, a smooth and very detailed texture and good colour usage really makes the unit shine here.

In-game Result: 8/10
Whilst the voxel is an extremely well done one itself and looks fantastic in the editor, it feels to be held back a bit in the in-game department, probably mostly due-to the wonderous TS limitations. Not to say that it looks bad, but it just doesn't seem to fit, at least in my opinion. Never-the-less, this is still easily one of the best voxels I have ever seen submitted to any kind of competition, so good job!

Creativity: 7/10
I like to see technology expanded upon, such as Firestorm technology, Railgun techhnology and now Ion technology. There have been several disruptor remakes, railgun tanks etc. but this is one of the better heavy GDI vehicles. The shape itself however doesn't really appeal to me all that much. It reminds me of Yuri's Magnetron for some reason. But anyway, good work all round.

Overall - 24/30

Morpher

Detail: 9/10
A very well detailed voxel, from its texture, shading and remap locations. Nothing's been missed on this one, it has an excellent texture with attention to detail such as visible dirt and roughness at the lower sections. The textures variation prevents this unit from looking like a huge gold blob, the use of the greys and remap are great helping to break it up.

In-game Result: 8/10
Some moments when looking at this I nearly think it's a shp, it's held back by the TS rendering engine which makes a few details appear wonky but that's inevitable when working with such a large voxel. The use of the original TS style colours make this unit a fantastic drag and drop for any mods looking for an "epic" GDI unit. Unfortunately such large units always look
exceptionally odd when actually moving in-game which gets in the way of me enjoying this unit ever so slightly.

Creativity: 8/10
It might not be the most revolutionary shape and style in the world, but it more than looks the part and seeing something of this size and style look realistic (For CnC) makes it stand out for me. The simplier and more realistic design of this unit is excellent as it prevents such a large voxel from becoming goofy.

Overall - 25/30

An overall great voxel, everyone who works on a TS themed mod goes through a phase of wanting an awesome Ion Cannon Tank but they usually grow out of the idea and well... this means we don't need to grow out of our crazy ideas!

OmegaBolt

Detail: 8/10
The voxel is quite large, so I'm not sure if it'll look as good when downsized, but as it is the texturing and detail is very nicely done, very clear and yet enough to make it look great.

Ingame Results: 7/10
At some angles it looks pretty perfect, so smooth and clean almost like an SHP and yet at others it's very messy with several holes. If they were fixed it could look pretty perfect.

Creativity: 7/10
This is a nice vehicle and seems very usable. It's design is interesting enough to make it distinct ingame and yet could serve a few roles depending on the modder's choice. An all-round highly usable asset.

Overall - 22/30

Total - 71/90

_Orac - Ion Platform TS.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  _Orac - Ion Platform TS.rar
 Filesize:  2.89 MB
 Downloaded:  732 Time(s)

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shit Orac! Your crazy!
That voxel is awesome, I am just thinking for which faction to use it, either for Yuri, for Cyborgs, for Aliens.....  But will be used for Epic unit definitively.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Net-Nit-Wet Orac Domesday machine F-T-W !!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A giant behemoth with equally high amount of detail, too bad the game's rendering system makes the SW/E & NW/E facings look distorted.

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should have been the winner of the comp IMO. Great job Orac, stunning work.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bu7loos wrote:
Net-Nit-Wet Orac Domesday machine F-T-W !!

You! You also did not make voxel for competition, and I smell that you had free time and cause you are great voxeller too, you could create something interesting and highly detailed.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matching TS GDI texture is almost as hard as matching YR Yuri texture if you really want to get it right.

I'm very proud of my chassis here, but the turret really only seems to pop when remap is gold or sky blue #Tongue

Congrats to everyone who entered, I'm personally quite pleased with the turn out and there are some very nice voxels produced by this comp which definitely improve the public asset pool.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SaneDisruption wrote:
Should have been the winner of the comp IMO. Great job Orac, stunning work.

agreed

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@MasterHaosis: Well I can only say I lost interest in making voxels and modding lately -_- that's it, but then again you always have Orac, Mig_eater, and all of the voxelers around here Very Happy

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wait....second place??/ wow, robbed

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As surprising as it might be to some, I actually agree that the Dread Dragon looks slightly better ingame. Although I bet Orac's Ion Platform has a huge amount of work put into it (I love the texture on the lower sides) and so very well deserves the second place at least, bigger doesn't mean it's better. White and black dots here and there, even long black lines on the turret if you look at the west facing. None of these issues are visible on Conman's entry.

Nontheless, the Ion Platform gets my vote for spotlight.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Crimsonum.

...And no matter how many times I redid the turret normals, I could never get rid of the black dots :/

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't say I'm surprised with some of the opinions here, 'cause even I thought it would win, until I recieved the Dread Dragon. It just suffers from some small issues that hirt its score, like the black dots, and personal opinions on its overall shape, there is also the old saying "bigger isn't always better". The Dragon won over the Ion Platform mostly for its creativity factor and it was a tough call for the three of us. But the quality of this submission overall makes for an easily spotlight worthy voxel.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its bigger than the Dread Dragon lol.
Could see this fit nicely into RA2 mods with GDI and Nod.

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Orac

It's not about the normals, you need to add a second, sometimes 3rd layer of voxels behind the outer most layer to get rid of the black dots. The black dots are a rendering error in the TS/YR engines that read the space as "empty" and since voxels don't have a transparency value in the palette, the rendering engine refers to black.

In any case, it's a fantastic voxel none-the-less. congratulations on 2nd place.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fantastic, and I want to say that the overall texturing (especially the bottom half of the vehicle hull that is smooth as hell) is just amazing! Razz

About the black dots, what Sane said is correct, but you also have to make the inside layers close to a similar color to the outside. That should fix the black dot syndrome once and for all. Here's what I mean with the attachment below

test.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.89 KB
 Viewed:  13850 Time(s)

test.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Nontheless, the Ion Platform gets my vote for spotlight.

Once the reform on the spotlight section is finished, it will get its recognition together with other top submissions from Voxelgeddon contest.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ConMan wrote:
Here's what I mean with the attachment below

Conman which unit is that?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're not very bright now are you...

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@MH: it the underside of Orac's units turret.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!