Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am
All times are UTC + 0
Is this correct (Bridge Mapping)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject:  Is this correct (Bridge Mapping)
Subject description: Quick Question how to correctly place a bridge
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't tell if this is correct terrain wise for the bridge. Also, what is needed to make a bridge functional? How would a bridge repair hut work with a bridge that's pre-placed with a destroyed part?

Question.png
 Description:
Talking about the bridge and surrounding pieces of cliff.
 Filesize:  200.42 KB
 Viewed:  2963 Time(s)

Question.png

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- Cliffs all seem connected properly, so that's good.
- Height difference is also good (4). You cannot have the bridge overlay on terrain which is not exactly 4 'heights' higher. The overlay will always be drawn 4 steps higher.
- Add the bridge repair hut right next to the bridge head, IMO at the railing or whatever it's called.
- Draw the bridge, remove the overlay pieces where you want the destroyed part.
- Add the damaged bridge sections, be careful though, you need to select 'Topleft bottemright'. FS shows the same list for both directions, resulting in failing bridges.
- If all goes well, you should send an engineer into the hut and the bridge will be repaired.
- If the previous step doesn't work. Try placing 1/2 waypoints under the bridge, add a trigger that has as action 'apply 100 damage at...', and select the proper waypoint(s), this will cause the bridge to be destroyed at the waypoint, and in between multiple waypoints, the bridge sections get destroyed too.

Future tips:
- Always make sure the bridge is 'clear', meaning no obstacles.
- No overlay under the bridge.
- Keep the height always 4 steps lower than the bridgehead. Test it out by lowering or raising terrain and then draw a bridge on it.
- If you have 2 bridges next to each other, make sure you don't put the Repair Huts next to each other (next cell), this will cause the repair logic to go bonkers, meaning the Hut at bridge 1 would repair bridge 2, and so would the Hut at bridge 2.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info, I think I know how I want to set it up. Unfortunately when I tried simply placing the bridge destroyed from the start the hut said it was fully repaired, same for damaged pieces, but I have an idea.

EDIT: On second thought I do that thing with the triggers.

EDIT2: My bridge has this wierd spot at the bridgeheads where a unit will become dark. The location in question dislikes being moved to, it screws up pathfinding.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP is correct in his points, I'm just making some clearances, don't take it as an offense.

RP wrote:
- Add the bridge repair hut right next to the bridge head, IMO at the railing or whatever it's called.

The bridge repair hut works if it's placed in a cell that connects to the bridge base tile, even diagonally (meaning if only the corner tips of the cells connect). People usually place them next to the rails because that propably looks best, but AFAIK you can even place the hut at the bottom of the base and it will still work #Tongue

RP wrote:
- Add the damaged bridge sections, be careful though, you need to select 'Topleft bottemright'. FS shows the same list for both directions, resulting in failing bridges.

This is true in your case, but if your bridge was facing the opposite direction (Top-right bottom-left), then you would have to choose the other, corresponding overlay. Make sure you use the right one, or you will be unable to repair the bridge ingame (also it might result in the bridge sections failing to collapse if destroyed, but I'm not sure)!

RP wrote:
- If the previous step doesn't work. Try placing 1/2 waypoints under the bridge, add a trigger that has as action 'apply 100 damage at...', and select the proper waypoint(s), this will cause the bridge to be destroyed at the waypoint, and in between multiple waypoints, the bridge sections get destroyed too.

This should be a failproof method, but I recommend using the previously mentioned as primary method, because a bridge exploding (unless you want it to explode, say because of sabotage) makes quite a loud sound and spawns debris that lights forests on fire.

One more tip, never place slopes anywhere near under the bridge, as this will strangely allow the units crossing the bridge to jump down on the slopes. I recommend keeping a leveled terrain in at least 4 cell radius from the bottom center of the bridge.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I think I know how I want to set it up. Unfortunately when I tried simply placing the bridge destroyed from the start the hut said it was fully repaired, same for damaged pieces, but I have an idea.

Unfortunatelly you can't place damaged bridge bases in FinalSun/FinalTI, only bridge sections. I don't know if there's a way to fix this, I've never really tinkered with it.

Quote:
EDIT2: My bridge has this wierd spot at the bridgeheads where a unit will become dark. The location in question dislikes being moved to, it screws up pathfinding.

Sounds like you accidently placed the bridge overlay on top of the bridge base. This might happen sometimes when you try to place bridge overlay next to the southern bridge base. Use the Ctrl+D or "hide all tiles" tools to avoid such issues.

If this is not the case, then it might be that cliffs are casting a shadow on the cell where a bridge section is located, thus also shadowing units that move on the same cell (even though they appear much higher thanks to the bridge logic, they are technically standing on the cell that's below the bridge).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since so many professional/useful answers were given, i've allowed myself to change the topic title to a bit more meaningful one (so it can be found easier later)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Crimsonum.

To illustrate my points, I've uploaded some screenshots.

Please note the red line around the selected overlay, you need to pick a direction based on your heading of the bridge. The one used in the example is topleft-bottomright.

This works:
Single bridge:
----------------
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4787/6k7v.png
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/2189/pz4y.png

Double bridge:
-----------------
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3497/9a0u.png

This doesn't work:

Double bridge:
-----------------
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3035/jda9.png
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9477/9xoa.png

Both huts repair the same bridge.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:

Sounds like you accidently placed the bridge overlay on top of the bridge base. This might happen sometimes when you try to place bridge overlay next to the southern bridge base. Use the Ctrl+D or "hide all tiles" tools to avoid such issues.

Na, I just missed the part where it shows both overlays for each bridge type. I had the wrong bridge sections.

Crimsonum wrote:

If this is not the case, then it might be that cliffs are casting a shadow on the cell where a bridge section is located, thus also shadowing units that move on the same cell (even though they appear much higher thanks to the bridge logic, they are technically standing on the cell that's below the bridge).

I don't think there is any overlay but I don't think it is a shadow. If it is just a piece of misplaced overlay, how would I find if there was an how would I remove it? I took a screenshot and placed it below, more specifically, units don't want to move there directly and when they do move into the cell, they don't stay there.

Bridge.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  716.79 KB
 Viewed:  2862 Time(s)

Bridge.png

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darkstorm wrote:
I don't think there is any overlay but I don't think it is a shadow. If it is just a piece of misplaced overlay, how would I find if there was an how would I remove it? I took a screenshot and placed it below, more specifically, units don't want to move there directly and when they do move into the cell, they don't stay there.

Sounds exactly like a case where you have accidently misplaced a bridge overlay on top the bridge base, though it doesn't seem like that from the screenshots....huh Confused Units can't stay under a bridge, hence the behaviour. You can also post the map here or PM me and I'll take a look.

If you move around with the mouse and the cell selector thingy, you can see some text appears at the bottom left corner every time you move to a cell occupied by an object, including overlay. This way you can spot visually invisible objects.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sent the map to you in a PM, however shortly after I did in fact fix the issue. I think it was overlay under the bridge or something. I had to clear the bridgehead tiles, use erase overlay even though it didn't appear to have any overlay (including the cell info in corner), then replace the bridgehead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon