Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am
All times are UTC + 0
Creating and managing your MIX files
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject:  Creating and managing your MIX files Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial will teach you how to make and edit .mix files. Mix files are storage files, like zip files, that are used for most Westwood games.
They are used to store game data files.

Mix files are mostly in the form of an expandxx.mix (xx is a number from 02 to 99) or ecachexx.mix. See below to see what filetypes should be in these mixes.

1) You can make expandxx.mix or ecachexx.mix file by opening XCC Mix Editor (comes with XCC Utilities, download at http://xccu.sourceforge.net/)
Click on New, give it a name (see below) and add stuff by using the insert tab or by dragging selecting files from Windows Explorer to XCC Mix Editor. When you're finished adding stuff to this mix file, click Compact and close the window.

2) for

.ini
.pkt
.vxl
.hva
.map
.pcx

files, put them in an expandxx.mix (were xx is number from 02 to 99)

3) for
.aud
.shp
.tem
.sno

files, put them in an ecachexx.mix (were xx is number from 02 to 99)

And for temporary files, that belong to the first list (so the files that can should be in eXPAND mixes), these can also be read by the game from the TS Directory.

Note that a higher number for a .mix (like expand99.mix) means a higher priority for that mix. Example: you have your old 1tnk voxel in expand02.mix, and a newer one in, say, expand11.mix. The game will then use the one in expand11.mix.
Files in the TS directory however, have the highest priority.

4) To edit .mix files, open XCC Mix Editor again. You can select files and remove them. You can also replace files with newer versions by simply inserting the new version while leaving the old version, the editor will automatically replace them. Note that any changes to the mixes will not be saved until you press save or compact (compact is recommended)

Note: You can ofcourse use XCC Mixer to view the contents of MIX files. It is recommended to regularly check your freshly created/edited MIX files, as XCC Mix Editer sometimes bugs them up. So be sure to make a backup whenever you update the content of one of your mixes.

Important note: it IS possible to edit the original game's mix files, like TIBSUN.MIX. You can add new files or replace the existing ones with new versions. This is however NOT recommended. Repeat: NOT recommended.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #TiberianSun #Firestorm #XCCUtilities 

the_kid
Cyborg Informer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not a bad tutorial... I was thinking of writing one of these myself, but never got around to it. With your permission I would like have it as one of the tutorials at C&C Central Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ofcourse

the_kid
Cyborg Informer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yay, I'll have to set it up in the next day or two...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice reference this is DvD Smile

Remus
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, but may I make one small request? I have heard there are other mix names beyond the basic expand(md)xx and ecache(md)xx. Could you expand your tutorial (I figure it would make the most sense for this tutorial.) to include all legitimate mix names? (The only other one I know of is elocal, but I heard there were others.)

This would be of great help to me as well as others.

Paradox
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i can use VXL's in ecache.mix files.

i put my INI's in expand.mix, and my shp/aud/vxl in ecache. works fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon