Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Mix format questions
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Josh Is 25% Larger
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:  Mix format questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The tutorials on the xcc page is poorly written imo. Dont really get it.

Anyway, could someone give me a hint, or just a quote from Olafs page that explain how to extract a file from the mix without reading anything from the header?

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Open the XCC Mixer, find the file you want and right click on it, then extract....

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure he means programming wise, not with a tool like XCC Mixer.

@the 25% bigger Josh:
do you read this?
If you're a programmer, then i think it is understandable.

Or check out the XCC source code

Josh Is 25% Larger wrote:
how to extract a file from the mix without reading anything from the header?

What do you mean? The header is telling you where you can find the file. How do you want to extract one if you don't know where it is?
So reading the header is obviously necessary.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm guessing he means from a "protected" mix file where the body size is corrupt. Basically you read the number of files in the mix (5th and 6th byte in the file as a uint16) and based on that can work out the header index size and read until you find the index for the file you want. Then knowing the size of the header (10 + (12 * number of files) bytes) you add that to the file offset the index entry for the file you are interested in and read the number of bytes that the size in the index entry tells you. A malformed mix could cause you to over read, but then it would probably crash the game too.

Josh Is 25% Larger
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK, the Mix format is the following:
Code:
[Header]
  A bunch of data...
[/Header]
[Body]
     [Cell]
          File Size
          File Data
     [/Cell]
     [Cell]
          File Size
          File Data
     [/Cell]
[/Body]

Correct me if I am wrong.

Further more, Blade is right. The reason I dont want to touch the header is because people corrupt to protect their mixes.

AFAIK, the game(ra2/yr/ts) dont care about the header when reading a mix, which is why people can corrupt it and still work fine when playing.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, its not formatted like that, you have mis-understood something. Why do you need to know this anyway? Am I to assume you are trying to extract assets that are in a protected mix rather than trying to write a mix handling application?
If so, there are already tools that will do that, but people protected the mixes for a reason and they have copyright over the contents of those mixes so whether you like it or not you need permission to use them. While EA hasn't given explicit permission, they haven't bothered to persue people using the assets and derived works from the original files, but that doesn't make any files held in a mix free game to use as you will.
I am of the opinion that people should be more open with the work they make, expecially since none of this is done for profit, but its their choice and I respect that even if I don't agree.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The game does care about the header, how would it find and read files if it doesn't know where they are?
If you don't even get this, then I wish you all the best of luck trying to crack a mix.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was informed that Josh doesn't care about "exclusive" assets and it seems he wouldn't mind ripping/stealing assets too.

TI and DTA mix files aren't protected and without my permission I would not want anybody to take assets that I've created for these Mods to use in their own public mod. I don't care about private mods as long as they stay private.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum