Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 am
All times are UTC + 0
Adding Dune 2k to DTA?
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Colos
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject:  Adding Dune 2k to DTA?
Subject description: All the Classic games in one?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

After finding and playing this mod; I have to say it is really f*****g awesome. You guys have by far, made one of the best mods I've seen for a game!

But something bothered me, it was missing something. No I'm not talking about the full tech-trees, or the Allied naval units for player use. It was missing a part of the classic C&C "experience."

As you have read from the title of this thread, that missing piece would be Dune 2000. Now I know that a lot of people do not particularly care about Dune 2K; but it is undeniably apart of the early form of C&C. The one question I hope everyone asks isn't "Why?" but, "How?" How can Dune be added to this mod?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately I don't think it would really suit as the graphics are very different and at a bigger scale. The tile size of Dune 2000 is bigger than TD or RA1.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dune2k uses a very different graphical style compared to TD and RA in addition to being otherwise entirely unfitting to the C&C universe, so I don't think DTA will ever contain Dune2k's content. Maybe some bits of terrain, but that's all.

Technically adding the Dune2k content (including sides) wouldn't be any more difficult than adding Allies and Soviet, so it'd be doable if we wanted to.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Buildings and vehicles are indeed completely different.
However, D2K used the exact same infantry as TD/RA and also a few new other ones. So it would be possible to add at least a few D2K infantry to DTA.
But those infantry would be more like a special unit seen only on a few maps where they are preplaced, and not a regular buildable unit. (Except DTA adds some kind of tech building for certain maps, which allows to build them once captured)

The only chance to add D2K sides, would be by recreating all buildings and units from scratch in 3d and then render them in the correct perspective and matching lighting. This however is a lot of work and i doubt anyone is doing this.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, if you look closer, the dune2k infantry while look similar indeed, are far lower quality due to palette used and mostly look single colorish shaded.

Admittedly those infantry could serve as extra infantry for enhancement atleast while actual buildings part is pretty unfortunate, war factory would at minimally need to be rotated (I don't even remember what size they are thus this may not be doable) for proper unit exiting plus TS lacks concept of light factory and heavy factory premise.

Plus you don't have any logic for carryalls moving harvesters either and sandworms would need some odd underground visceroid tunneling logic but even so, making its attack the surfacing would need more trickery...

As for remaking LKO pretty much noted out that nobody likely is up for making buildings and units from scratch into proper looks given workloads.

OpenRA has better chance to work out any limitations frankly.

Ohh... d2k infantry even require centering :/

It looks strange vs C&C terrain anyhow Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum