Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm
All times are UTC + 0
[RA2]Allied Mammoth Tank (Allied Apocalypse)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
RikkaXGoddess
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:  [RA2]Allied Mammoth Tank (Allied Apocalypse)
Subject description: My first voxel !!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first voxel !!!  Very Happy

Allied apocalypse remake.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.96 KB
 Viewed:  6402 Time(s)

Allied apocalypse remake.PNG

sfghgff.PNG
 Description:
IN GAME
 Filesize:  77.97 KB
 Viewed:  6402 Time(s)

sfghgff.PNG

Allied Mammoth tank Old.rar
 Description:
Old version

Download
 Filename:  Allied Mammoth tank Old.rar
 Filesize:  179.09 KB
 Downloaded:  30 Time(s)

Allied Mammoth tank.rar
 Description:
Added - turret

Download
 Filename:  Allied Mammoth tank.rar
 Filesize:  257.26 KB
 Downloaded:  79 Time(s)

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a first voxel, this is great! It really is! If you have little experience with 3D in addition, this is amazing.

That said, there is a lot of things you should learn. First of, the colours 0 ->15 and 204 -> 255 shouldn't be used. This is very easy to fix: press [F1] or [F2] and it selects the correct pallet. If it's pink, you need to use another colour. In your voxel, that is the cyan colour. If you look at the top-right angle in-game (or in you screenshot) you will notice that everything is darker, except the cyan bits.

Normals are OK, not great, not terrible. There are 4 ways to work with normals:

1: Pure auto-normals
2: Hand-painted normals
3: Auto-normals from a 3D file
4: Auto-normals with hand-painted details

1 is quick and easy. All the different AN have uses, and in general, 7.1 and 5.6 are most useful, but even 1.1 have uses. I haven't used HBD yet, but it looks promising, with a few black dots.

2 is the most time-consuming, but can give the best results by far. It also requires a lot of time and discipline. There are over 230 different normals, and ideally you should know the angle of each of them by hart. Not all are needed, but if this is the path you choose to walk, that is the ideal you should strive against.

3: this is the one I use. You can get a very good result with AN, and going over a few details by hand can make it very good with a comparably little effort.

4 is the best in regards of time/quality, but you need a proper 3D model to make use of it. Getting started with voxels are a lot faster and easier, but a lot of modders have gone over to importing and converting from a 3D model, then doing a little touch-up in Voxel Section Editor.

The easiest by far is starting with 1, as you have. Over time, as your quality increase, you might want to make some changes to the normals by hand to make sure it keeps the same level of quality as the model itself.

The model itself is OK. Visually, it seems to be a lot wider than what I would expect from a tank. It's also very plain, lacking in texture-detail.

One thing that I don't like at all it the "pod" on either side of the main body. Besides not being visually pleasing, it wouldn't work at all IRL. It makes the tank wider and adds nothing that couldn't be done at least as good if the "pod" was added to the turret.

Technicality: The voxel wasn't centred. At all. You centred it in OS HVA editor, didn't you? Wink The ideal way is to make the model centred without the HVA-file at all. To do this, go to [Sections] -> [Voxel Header CTRL + H] and go to the tab [Misc] and select []Land or []Air (whichever fits the model best) and then hit [Calculate]. This will do the work for you.
You can also change the "scale" of the voxel from here, by changing the [Scale] value. Do not, do NOT use this to make the voxel larger. It won't work, and it'll look like shit. Making it smaller though works fine, just check that the texture still looks OK ingame.

And now something that isn't wrong or right. "Clean" lines. Look at the image below:

This is angles and circles that work well with voxels and pixel-art in general. You don't have to use these lines, but they work well with AN and it might make your work easier.

If there is any more you would like to know just ask.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your "Clean" lines are full of gaps & will result is "black dot syndrome" & bad normals :/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When the voxel is full, there isn't any black dots, given the normals are also good. And the circles will be full of holes, but it's easier to see the size when it's not filled.

As far as normals go, I haven't had any problems with 2:1 angles at all..? However, "flatter" angles have given me all sorts of problems with normals.

If I have missed anything, please tell me! You are a lot better with voxels than me!

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fixed ya pic...

lines.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.16 KB
 Viewed:  6308 Time(s)

lines.png

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
B.A.Znd
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice for a first try Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!