Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am
All times are UTC + 0
Publix Voxels in monitary works
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:  Publix Voxels in monitary works
Subject description: Rules for doing so?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With an increase in Voxel based games and Voxel based engines, The WestWood 2D Modding community is in an odd spot. With so many Voxels here, all aimed at modding what would happen if one of them got in a different games release?

What would be the rulings about if that happened and in the future use of PPm and other CnC modding cite Voxels in other games or original releases?

TL;DR What do when someone puts your voxel in the game there selling?

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have a very simple privacy policy that covers this topic at our Privacy Policies:

Quote:
2) (File/documents/data/any sort of material) (uploaded/distributed/posted) by fans is from the one(s) who made it.

- Any files that you create and/or post here is from the person (or group) who created it, including files uploaded in tutorials, maps, 3d models, files submited to mod projects, etc... By submiting a file here, you allow everyone to download it (unless otherwise stated by yourself) and modify it as long as the original creator is credited (also, unless the original author states another rule for the file he submits). Also, by submiting the file here, you must be assured that you have authorization by the creator of the file to distribute it/ see it/expose it to everyone.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Essentially a CC-BY license, I think. Which means you're free to create derivatives and even use it in commercial works, but you must always credit the original author.

If their use in commercial works was forbidden (CC-BY-NC), that would have to be explicitely stated in the license of the files. As long as it is not stated (and most readme files just say "You are free to use this voxel in any way you like, as long as you credit X"), you are implicity allowed to use it for any purpose, even commercial.

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What commercial engines use the WW voxel format other than the WW ones?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OpenRA is GPL. Thereby it can be used for a commercial project.

Besides, VXLSE can convert voxels to models. OpenRA prolly can convert voxels to generic sprites. The format might find less use, but the actual assets are quite useful.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So wait, OpenRA can be used and sold for money? Like if I make a mod using OpenRA engine then I can sell it for profit???

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TL;DR: Yes, but if you made edits in the engine, you still have to make the source available (f.e. all of your custom traits etc are given to me in a source subfolder when I buy your mod).

Assets ofc can have their own license.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exactly what Graion has said. Remember that if you use assets from Westwood Studios in your mod, you can't make money with it. They still belong to Electronic Arts.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that PPM asset copyright clause should not be hidden in a privacy policy. It deserves more attention during the submission of content and/or user registration.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree to give it more attention at the user registration. However, the matter in the content submission is a bit more complicated because the content submission is a mere reply to the topics here. Placing this kind of warning near the quick reply area is something that I do not plan to do, unless someone has a very interesting idea about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!