Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am
All times are UTC + 0
Units exploding on the repair bay bug?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:  Units exploding on the repair bay bug? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not entirely sure what conditions cause this, but seems like the AI sends units to be repaired, or even just passing over the repaid dock and boom.

I can't see any particular code glitch? Anything else I should look at?

Code:

[NADEPT]
UIName=Name:NADEPT
Name=Soviet Service Depot
BuildCat=Tech
Prerequisite=NAWEAP,NACNST
Strength=1200
Armor=concrete
TechLevel=6
Adjacent=2
Sight=5
UnitRepair=yes
Owner=British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance,Russians,Confederation,Africans,Arabs
AIBasePlanningSide=1 ;gs 0 for Good, 1 for Evil
Cost=800
Points=80
Power=-20
Capturable=true
Crewed=yes
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
DebrisAnims=DBRIS1SM,DBRIS1LG,DBRIS4SM,DBRIS5SM,DBRIS4LG,DBRIS7SM,DBRIS8SM,DBRIS5LG
MaxDebris=15
MinDebris=5
ThreatPosed=0 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys,BigGreySmokeSys
DamageSmokeOffset=270, 580, 260
AIBuildThis=yes
NumberOfDocks=1
NumberImpassableRows=1

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't remember the AI suffering from this bug, but ever since Red Alert 1, interrupting the player unit's exit/entry process with an attack command causes it to explode. IIRC, it was a safe measure by the developers to prevent the game from crashing due to the interruption. Way to avoid fixing the actual issue.

Last edited by Crimsonum on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pressing s to stop a unit moving on the repair bay gets it killed too if it just moved on the building.
It's like the building gets passable when it has an approaching unit, but any command that aborts the units repair command, will turn the building back to the normal impassable building. Which ends in the unit colliding with the building.

Since Ares has the key IsPassable, it might help fixing the issue by making the repair bay always passable, not only for the unit that got the docking command.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well since I'm talking about the AI's activity, I must assume it's changing orders like being recruited? Is this a known bug I can't fix then?

This doesn't really explain how units regularly roll over the factory and refinery bibs?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Well since I'm talking about the AI's activity, I must assume it's changing orders like being recruited? Is this a known bug I can't fix then?

Possible. The AI is constantly doing trying to recruit units in new teams.
That bug probably was the reason why WW set AIBuildThis=no.

Do you tested IsPassable=yes already?
G-E wrote:
This doesn't really explain how units regularly roll over the factory and refinery bibs?

They are bibs defined with Bib=yes, which makes the southeast row of cells passable by default.
The repair bay only gets passable for the unit that tries to dock with it.

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ... don't ... use ... Ares.

I had a strange thought, has anyone tried to make a repair bay with multiple docks? Let's say a new building 3x2 with 1 impassable row, and 3 docks in the next row?

I could see this being rather ugly for helicopter and large units, but would solve the exploding problem and conform to the bib free cell movement?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should rather test a 1x1 repair bay first, which is much easier done and see if Bib=yes really helps to solve this.
After that, you could also test a 1x3 repair bay with Bib=yes.

FirestormWall=yes makes a building passable too. Worth a try here.

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well as expected FirestormWall makes them invisible (and no bib appears at all) minus the active animations which still work, but I didn't see any explosions.

The problem is this proves nothing because I only sporadically noticed explosions, and I posted when I saw 3 in a row at the same time. It's possible it is more frequent than I realize but the conditions for the AI to behave the right way (to test) aren't that common either.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then try to find out how to cause the explosion with your own unit and repair bay, so you can reproduce it much easier. Or create a testmap in which you do some trigger/scripts work that causes the AI units to constantly dock and explode.
Then you can do some reliable tests.

FirestormWall makes the building expect the special wall frames order in the shp. Either copy the frames in the shp to match the wall logic order of frames
or try a different approach like
-make building SHP itself empty
-add keys like BibShape or ActiveAnim into which you put the building SHP, to this way get around the special wall logic frames order

Public SHPs

Tools

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To my recall you can cause the unit explosion about all the time if you give the unit a move command over the bib and suddenly give attack command vs ground over central cell and it will just blow up...

That bug has been so long xD

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, TS has it too.
Though the hassle to repair a unit for 25% of its cost, i have always rather build a complete new unit.

Public SHPs

Tools

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
yes, TS has it too.

It's fixed in the latest CnCNet TS build (which means that it'll also be fixed in upcoming builds of DTA, TI and the TS Client): https://forums.cncnet.org/index.php?topic=5406.0

Considering that it was fixed for TS, maybe one day someone will fix it for YR/Ares too.

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was fixed by telling the unit to scatter if it hits the code path where it would normally explode.

Does Ares have the fix?

Does Red Alert 1 really suffer from the bug?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Iran wrote:
Does Red Alert 1 really suffer from the bug?

It could be a different bug, but I remember vehicles exploding if their entry to, say, the naval transport was interrupted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon