Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
OpenRA Release 20161019 is now available.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject:  OpenRA Release 20161019 is now available.
Subject description: Burn baby, burn. Cooler GFX on fire to burn Windows XP to the ground.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A new stable release of OpenRA is now available! The new version comes with a couple of interesting new features.

One of them is the much improved game content installer. It is now able to copy and install game assets from many more installation sources, such as the original release CDs, the First Decade DVDs, installed copies of the Dune 2000 Gruntsmod edition and even the C&C Ultimate Edition from Origin. Additionally, for the first time ever, the content installer will now also automatically install the campaign briefing videos, which means you no longer have to do that manually.

This feature comes with one minor down-side: since the new assets are installed into a different place than in previous versions of OpenRA, every player is required to install the game assets again when launching this new version for the first time.

The quest to complete porting the original campaign missions to OpenRA is ongoing. This time around, there are seven new missions for Tiberian Dawn, and one each for Red Alert and Dune 2000. For Red Alert, there are also three new missions which can be played in both single- and cooperative multiplayer mode and which long-time players may find to be vaguely familiar.

Other new features and fixes include the following:

- Fixes to a lot of crashes.
- Fixes to a number of bugs that impacted game servers, such as the infamous “grey ping bug”.
- New configuration options for customizing mouse scrolling behaviour.
- New hotkeys for navigating to map edges, and bookmarking positions on the map.
- New hotkeys for controlling the music player, as well as producing five units at once.
- Improved aircraft reloading behaviour.

The score screen now shows an actual score comprised of the amount of kills as well as other gameplay actions such as capturing and infiltrating buildings, repairing an allies’ units and buildings, and sending them supplies, instead of just kills and losses.

Burning trees now provide nice visual effects for flame throwers and nukes.

And finally, but it is very important to mention: this revision and newer ones are no longer compatible with Windows XP. The reason for it is that OpenRA now requires .NET 4.5 (Windows) / Mono 3.2 or greater (OS X and Linux). Players using Ubuntu 12.04 or other Linux distributions that include Mono 2.10 can upgrade to a supported version by following the instructions on the Mono site.

Grab the latest version at their website and have fun!

Key Words: #OpenRA #News #Release #NoWindowsXPSupport 

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Always nice to see OpenRA progress.

To stay true to TD/RA however, treegroups should be immune to any damage and not able to burn down.

Not sure if it was intended or a bug, but in TD the trees also became completely immune once they burned down to the burned state. Nothing could ever remove/destroy them then anymore. For a perfect 1:1 remake, it might be nice to add this feature too. After all it offered some small tactics like creating an immune tree obstacle blocking the enemy approach or inside a tibfield to have tiberium spread under and then from this tree, without ever being harvested away anymore.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fires in OpenRA are purely graphical: the charred husks remain and continue blocking the same cells that the original living trees did.
However, if map authors want to, they can implement custom tree actors that can completely burn out to e.g. open up new routes through packed forests.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess when they finish with all 2.5D C&C's
it wont support anything below NT 10

so why the hell even use it then -_-

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really microsoft is so dumb, instead of supporting windows xp they want to ''invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies''.

Yeah windows 8 and windows 10 was worth it *sarcasm*

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

err, microsoft doesn't dictate you what framework or language will you use

so its on "you"

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:

so its on "you"
That is correct, it is "our" choice what framework or language we will use, and "we" decided that this was the right time to drop .NET 4 after a lot of debate and planning.  Maintaining .NET 4.0 for the 350-odd remaining XP players was holding back bug fixes for the ~56000 other players and made life unreasonably difficult for up-to-date Linux distributions to package OpenRA.

If you do care about playing OpenRA (and this wasn't just a chance to complain), then there are Linux distributions out there that will happily run on XP-era hardware, still receive security and other updates, and should run OpenRA just as well if not better than XP ever did.

Exley wrote:
I guess when they finish with all 2.5D C&C's
it wont support anything below NT 10

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For people who care: there was a toolchain change in .NET, which was very hard if not impossible to backport for Microsoft to Windows XP. As their main business is selling one time operating systems instead of subscriptions it makes sense for them to make you buy "updates" even if you don't want to.

Indeed this decision wasn't taken lightly. The player statistics feature was introduced to gather data to make an informed decision (and postpone it by one release cycle). We even tried to run old versions of Mono (as Xamarin also stopped supporting XP) on some laptops we grabbed from garbage, but also that failed: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Windows-XP and it was wasteful anyway as hardware of that time often can't run OpenRA smoothly.

I am very curious if OpenRA runs on https://www.reactos.org/ but I am not sure if anyone tried yet.

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol no one runs XP anymore and no one should. Why the ztype should they spent a ridiculous amount of effort supporting Windows XP when officially support is ending soon for it? Install a linux distribution if you want to continue using the XP machine (and the newest Linux kernel is A LOT faster than Windows XP), I'm pretty sure that WINE runs 98% of Windows XP era software without issue.

Or just get a new PC.

Also, why is it 'dumb' for Microsoft to phase out Windows XP support? Windows XP was launched in 2001, are they required to keep supporting Windows XP forever? Keep in mind that it costs Microsoft a lot of money to support Windows XP, and they have newer and better operating systems.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Iran wrote:
I'm pretty sure that WINE runs 98% of Windows XP era software without issue.

75%, I'd say, with an additional 10-15% only having minor annoyances. Personal experience.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iran how old are you ?

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drive wrote:
Really microsoft is so dumb, instead of supporting windows xp they want to ''invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies''.

Do you think they should they rather invest their resources towards supporting older technologies? Even if you don't like the UI of Windows 8 and 10, they're technically much more modern and better than XP.

Exley wrote:

so its on "you"

I find it funny how you're complaining of OpenRA abandoning Windows XP support, while you've also said that you refuse to install .NET (probably because you've proven it to be "dog shit"), meaning that you've never even touched OpenRA but are still whining here to spread hatred and waste everyone's time.

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Iran wrote:
Lol no one runs XP anymore and no one should. Why the ztype should they spent a ridiculous amount of effort supporting Windows XP when officially support is ending soon for it? Install a linux distribution if you want to continue using the XP machine (and the newest Linux kernel is A LOT faster than Windows XP), I'm pretty sure that WINE runs 98% of Windows XP era software without issue.

Or just get a new PC.

Also, why is it 'dumb' for Microsoft to phase out Windows XP support? Windows XP was launched in 2001, are they required to keep supporting Windows XP forever? Keep in mind that it costs Microsoft a lot of money to support Windows XP, and they have newer and better operating systems.

No one runs windows xp? Who say that? you?

Windows xp is a standart software used by many schools, offices and others.

In case the stop of supporting windows xp comes not from ''It cost us much money'' it comes from they bought windows xp once and dont buy an other system, what we can do to force them to buy a other product?

You know, capitalism never sleeps, like that with the ''FREE WINDOWS 10'' you know.

And btw before i forget it linux is for sure a lot better in performance, but the problem nr.1 is support of fan made pogramms, because they often only compatible for windows, instead of linux.

@Rampa
I dont hate win 8 and 10 for the UI I hate them more because of the compatibility for only Steam games.

For example for generals zero hour, you need to place a options ini in windows 7 and it works. So now i read at forums at windows 8 it will be harder and at windows 10 you cant get to that folder where you have to insert it. Thats my with it. it makes it for some games impossible to play it.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drive wrote:

That looks pretty outdated. Here's the latest one, with Windows XP at 9.11%: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx

However,  NetMarketShare is only 1 source. According to Steam's hardware survey, Windows XP's share is currently at 1.48%. Which means that among gamers it's a very rare OS at this point.

drive wrote:
For example for generals zero hour, you need to place a options ini in windows 7 and it works. So now i read at forums at windows 8 it will be harder and at windows 10 you cant get to that folder where you have to insert it. Thats my with it. it makes it for some games impossible to play it.

Based on my own experience with Windows 10, I really doubt that's true. I haven't encountered any folder restrictions that weren't there in Windows 7/8.1 already. What might cause problems is the Safedisk copy protection (it doesn't function on Windows 10 due to security reasons), but there's ways around that too. And I'd blame Safedisk more on EA than Microsoft.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GenZH works exactly as fine under Win10 x64 as Win7 x86 - after you created options.ini and network.ini manually and cracked it to circumvent SafeDisk.

Regarding the programs-on-Linux thingy, the main programs I never could run at all were .NET-based Windows applications (new DTA client, new ROTR launcher, SWR.net) but native applications work fine (hell, I play YR+Ares on a better performance under Wine than under Windows!). For the record, I am modding OpenRA under Linux for a good while now using the common classic modding tools and my sole annoyance with them is that the beta HVA Builder throws an error when trying to directly open a HVA through file association with it - opening files within the program works fine. VXLSE/SHP Builder/Mixer/whatelse are flawless. (This includes VXLSE's 3D modelizer even.)

I find it amusing how the haters claim XP is so good at legacy games, when XP was the first consumer Windows which broke compatibility with the DOS games and made DOSBox a necessity. The world didn't ended back then either.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows7 is the new XP, there's literally no reason to upgrade beyond it for the next decade as the newer ones are still teething like Vista....

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know guys its depressing sometimes too see that somthing will die out, for sure it has to be like windows 98 and others, the only thing why I hate it is becuase the games and open source projects that loose compatibility will be forgotten sooner or later.

Things like Red Alert and tiberian dawn will be not forgotten that fast, becuase they have much fan community and theire on CD.

But now where everything is in the internet and on servers that need to be shut down sooner or later, will forget everything including fan made projects, maps, modells, patches. Thats the only reason why I dont look forward in digitalization, like steam where you just download the game instead of getting a nice box with a handbook, The game CD and more.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drive wrote:

The group of people who browse a subset of websites is completely incomparable to the group of people who play OpenRA.

The stats for OpenRA over the last 5 months looks like

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like Openra wont loose (or will not even loose any) that much players as I thought.

I mean when you count my 3 laptops to those 0.6%  Laughing

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I find it funny how you're complaining of OpenRA abandoning Windows XP support, while you've also said that you refuse to install .NET

I don't use it, but that doesn't mean I havent took a peek at ora
.net is garbage, always was and always will be

you do know what NT 6 uses .net for right ?
and NT"10" ?

you're stuck with dn, and losing ability to "support it" on XP
is another proof with what garbage you operate

as soon dn 5 comes out, it will prolly kill vista, "7" and "8"
then what excuse will you use ? Very Happy

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Keeper
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:
i'm not gonna update to windows 10 ztype windows 10 it's shit everyone should use muh XP cuz it the bestest windows ever and if you dont cater to me and the 5 other people who use it then ur awful ppl >:CCCCCC

Why not use Windows 95? It can run old games better than XP.

Hell, why even use a Windows program? Why don't we go back to using good old text screens with no user interface whatsoever?

Technology updates fast man. You can't expect them to cater to every single version of Windows, especially if said chunk is less than 1% of users.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote wrote:
The stats for OpenRA over the last 5 months looks like

I also remember all the hatred we got from collecting that data from our players. Note: you can opt-out right at the start of the game and we really take privacy seriously. You can even inspect the source code used to do the survey both server and client side.

It was such a hazzle to set this up, but I am really thankful that Paul and Oliver did it, because I estimated the Windows XP player count to be much higher. We received lot's of support requests from Asians especially from developing countries via Facebook with screenshots from Windows XP default themes and no chance for us to deceiver their error messages. It was impossible to help them anyway as in 99% of the cases their systems had none or too limited OpenGL support. We always sent them to https://cncnet.org/ to play their beloved classics. It looks like the Chinese community even has their own tunneling server so they can play behind the great firewall. https://cncnet.org/network-status

I guess we need to adapt our marketing strategy a bit. As OpenRA looks like an old game due to the use of the timeless graphical artwork provided by Westwood, but it is a modern flexible RTS engine that is geared towards modding friendliness and not optimized for a limited feature set, any specific hardware or just a handful of static campaign missions.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah keep making false quotes
that is so next level

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't understand what the problem is, XP is a dead OS with no support. If you can't update to Windows 7 (and lets face it, it costs practically nothing if you buy it from a reseller), then your PC probably can't support it anyways. Can't afford a new Windows? Change to Linux, it's a cleaner, faster OS anyway with more compatibility than a Raspberry Pi, and it's FREE.

All of you supporting XP are being ridiculous.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread spawned further discussion on reddit, for anyone interested.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it has support till 2019, official one via wepos
and how can you call it dead when even win98 has still big usage -_-

they are not abandoning xp support coz its dead
but because they use .net crap that abandons xp

feel free to stay ignorant Smile

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Windows 98 still.. has... big... usage? Which world are you living at? It's not Planet Earth, I'm sure. Or at least not with home users. Windows 98 has problems with machines that have over 512mb of RAM and, for over 5 years, all of them are sold with more RAM than that.

Quote:

Yea, I guess this is the only part of your post that makes sense. The problem on relying in technologies created by Microsoft is that support for old O.S. will be ditched eventually or your source won't run anymore in the current software development IDEs from them.

It's also worth mentioning that it is complicated to support an O.S. when you loose means to test your software on it. And finally, bear in mind that, as an open source product made as a hobby, the developers of OpenRA have no obligation at all to support all O.S. or to install Windows XP on their machines to test this software.

I'm not fan of seeing Windows XP loosing support for this program, but this will eventually not happen only with OpenRA, but also other programs as well.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please read the five reasons at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/10661.

The major reasons were the broken UPnP (with the fix only being replacing the dependency, but the new one was only supporting 4.5), the Fedora maintainer constantly nagging about axing UPnP altogether because of the strict dependency rules of the distro (and the old one, being a dead package, failed at those), and Xamarin changing policies.

Oh, and calling WEPOS as XP support is like calling Vista alive, because of Win7. It's just pure luck if WEPOS updates work.

=======================

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:

Yeah hes right, win 89 has a big usage im my house too, as a old computer that get its parts scavenged and putted in various acids to get some gold out of it.

Exley wrote:

Decision what they use goes to the developers, not you.

Win xp is in my eyes good for an old computer that u use for internet search, and maybe some little games and others, but you cant call winXP as a operating system that should be used by gamers.

Windows XP was known for a error message that happened because you plugged in a external hard drive, and the message keept appearing after you clickt it away, what ever you did. At the end a reinstalling helped.
(The messege began to appear at the system start and you wasnt able to do somthing else before you clicked that window away.)

And windows XP is not good for people that tryes to record somthing, my computer (where win XP was on it) was only able to record a game (gta san adreas multitheft auto) with 19 FPS and where i bought windows 7 I god 60 FPS at recording, thats a big difference.

Banshee wrote:
I'm not fan of seeing Windows XP loosing support for this program, but this will eventually not happen only with OpenRA, but also other programs as well.

In case when its 0.6 players that cant play openra anymore its not that important, as mattias m. mentioned, many asian players and arabian players use Windows XP and have high ping, you wouldnt be able to play with them anyway.

It would be a lot highter damage for example multi theft auto, where on a server 650 arabic, 500 asian, 300 europe players and others would play.

Keeper
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:

LMAO!

You thought about a career in comedy sometime?

Exley wrote:
feel free to stay ignorant Smile

Pot calling the kettle black.

What's with you and your obsession over XP anyway? Do you use XP? Are you so poor you can't even upgrade to Windows 7? What is it?

You're complaining about inane, unimportant things dude. The only person who gives a shit about this issue is you.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i love you all
but some things said are not true
just because you guys don't like xp, doesn't mean its abandoned

yes 98 still has unofficial support via kex

xp has it too via (altered reg for) wepos, and beside that ryanvm does repacks of outdated patches every month

graion ... wepos is xp sp3

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, this debate is still going!?

Maybe it should be Split to a new topic?

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just let it go Exley, Windows XP is dead, the changes are final, and no developer is going to support XP if they're going to lose functionality for it.

Move to Linux if your pc can't handle it and you can't afford windows 7. Good god.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See what happens when I don't post controversial political topics? hahah

penev
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:
.net is garbage, always was and always will be

Aside from all the nonsense in this thread, what I'm curious about is where are you getting your information from.

Maybe even what your background experience is with .NET that you are so confident in your statement.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the opposite of a fanboy?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
What's the opposite of a fanboy?

Troll

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Folks here should just ignore Exley, he just loves to post his meaningless drivel & questions to waste everybody's time.

OpenRA has no need to cling to antique operating systems if newer offer far better benefits in greater scheme.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

booo
not really for troll
but kinda "compatibility" clashes when you ditch OS
that has no... problem

but oh well

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!