Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 am
All times are UTC + 0
Is it possible,
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject:  Is it possible, Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To add new theatres to TS? I know this isn't exactly a research, but it wouldn't really fit into the Barracks. I'm thinking about making a terrain expansion, that's why I'm asking.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm moving it to Barracks in the moment, until it becomes a research. Anyway, I don't know what a "theatre" means in this case... I still dont understand that NewTheater= lines and anything related to it in art.ini...

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By theatre I mean, a new terrain set that will have different building images, and other theatre-specific aspects such as terrain types and terrain objects that can't be put on a map of a different theatre.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure if it's possible, but believe it's not...

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well would it be possible to overwrite the old ones?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, you can replace graphics...

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ugh... well this is going to be more difficult. But that's ok. That's usually how things go with modding. You come to expect these things in time, eh Banshee? Wink

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

huh?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Final Moon ask SMIFFGIG he created some new terrain, or graphic terrain on his mod, check the screenshots on his website.

I tried to make new terrain but it's a little bit difficult, sk8erkid made grass terrain, but i didn't tried to see what that looks like in the game.

At the time i'm trying to do terrain where we can see some ruins of the precedent war like westwood done with the old temple, old construction yard... but with other building

TerroR
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure it's possible. Just look at snow.ini and temperate.ini
But it would take ages. You got to make new clifs new water edges new dirt ground. unless you take a terrain from YR?

One Of A Kind
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you might not to be able to add an entirely new terrain theatre, but wouldn't it be possible to expand on the existing ones?

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Ok im talking about converting the RA2 temperate to TS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this would be very VERY NICE to add a new Theatre and it is possible but AFAIK and would imagine adding a real new theatre would be impossible. What im talking about is to do it in a work around way but it would be alot of work

If you found out by what factor the RA2 tileset is bigger to the TS tileset, then you could extract all the RA2 temperate theatre tiles and decrease there size by this factor (sure Jasc Robot image could do that)

from here u could go to the RA2 temperate.ini and take all the relevant info and add it to the TS temperate.ini (and thats the bit that would take a LONG time)

So in the TS temperate.ini instead of in the General being
Rocks=62
there would be
Rocks=116 for example (made up figure)

then after you have inputted all that info correctly you would put the resized RA2 temperate tiles into the temperate.mix

Now if all goes well start FinalSun and new map and make it temperate etc etc and since this has never been done or tested i would guess
you would get a standard brown TS style temperate blank map (because thats what FinalSun reads to do from its own .ini's)
But hopefully you would be able to place all the new tiles you have inputted and could replace the entire map with the RA2 tiles

The only problem i can see with this is that you may need to edit FinalSun to be able to lay these tiles but i cant see why except for doing things like auto cliff and auto shore etc but im not sure

Either way im pretty damn sure its possible, it is after all just adding new tiles to and exsisting theatre but only on an extreme scale

The result would be superb though, imagine the resized RA2 temperate in Tiberian Sun, the RA2 temperate theatre graphics is probably one of the only graphics i really do like on RA2 #Tongue (as it does look realistic)

and

NewTheater=yes
i think means does whatever this applies too (buildings only i would expect) have diff names for each theatre eg GAPILE (A = snow [possibly originally Arctic o something]) GTPILE (T = temperate)
I think if this is not stated then it would probably only read the GAPILE as it is not being refered to both
and
Theater=yes
Does this bit of art (once again only buildings AFAIK) have two seperate images for each theatre
i think if say this is not stated but NewTheater=yes and the image does have two seperate images, although NewTheater has been stated it will still only read the default GAPILE

but if someone can describe them better than that please do so, ive never really had to use Theater and NewTheater for specific reasons
im sure im missing something in there descriptions as it seems a rather odd way of going about it

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I once did something funny... i extractes RA2's temperat.mix and put in in my SUN folder. I also extracted the RA2 temperat.pal and put in one of my mix files. And indeed, you have RA2 terrain now, but the problem is that the tiles are too big and you see these black lines on the tile borders...but this is a start. Since every tile is just one image and the RA2 tiles use exactly the same names, the only thing we need to do is to resize the tiles... of course it will cause some RSI, but it's worth it...

The PROBLEM is, however, Firestorm terrain like the blue mold and green cristals, wouldn't appear correctly as a part of their tiles is brown (TS temperate color). Editing these to look good will be very very hard.

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
"it would take ages. You got to make new clifs new water edges new dirt ground."

"Editing these to look good will be very very hard."

Guys, it's actually not that hard. If you weren't so afraid to *heaven forbid* open a graphics editor, you might realize that there are many more possibilities in Tiberian Sun.

No, I'm not going to copy from Red Alert 2. I can make my own graphics.

Can and will. ...........later...

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fair enough FinalMoon
but i think if this where to become a join research or project then converting the RA2 tiles is probably a more realistic view of things Smile

Quote:
The PROBLEM is, however, Firestorm terrain like the blue mold and green cristals, wouldn't appear correctly as a part of their tiles is brown (TS temperate color). Editing these to look good will be very very hard.

Yes correct but how many maps actually use them tiles anyway, they look damn cool but they are only in a select few of TS:FS maps, there not on snow maps at all and Matze hasnt even made them a LAT in FinalSun so u cant even lay the things in FinalSun unless u copy them from a pre-made map that has them (ie other Westwood skirmish maps) so i wouldnt really class that as a serious problem if a problem at all. Im not dissagreeing though it would be nice to have

Possible problem i have though of is the random map generator, im not sure how it works and hopefully if it works how i think it does and it wont be a problem but if its simply looks at the temperate.ini and snow.ini then it might look at (shore tiles=64) or whatever and tried and lay them all
however im pretty sure it will be ok as it probably looks at a set lot of tiles

FinalMoon
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The random map generator is a piece of crap, seriously. But that is a good observation, it could complecate things.

And I propose making an upgrade for Firestorm to add Ice and Slime LAT's and also to compensate for anything that might not be accessible from it, in the new terrain expansion. Of course, I would endeavor to do this myself, so we wouldn't have to wait on Matze for ages or anything. But, I'm being a bit ambitious here... it may be too hard for me.

All this is looking into the future though... It's really not relevant to the present. I'd appreciate it if you would keep this project of mine under your hats, as I'm not going to get to it until I'm finished with my mod or at least well into it, and I don't want everyone anticipating something that I don't know for sure if I'm going to do yet.

This topic has served its purpose... it can be closed now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon