Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am
All times are UTC + 0
PanzerkampfwagenVI Tiger I (Sd.kfz.181) Ausfuehrung-E
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject:  PanzerkampfwagenVI Tiger I (Sd.kfz.181) Ausfuehrung-E Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Development of what eventually became known as the 'Tiger' Ausf. E, was initiated in a discussion with Hitler on 26th May, 1941.
Hitler had been impressed by the reports of the armour of the British Matilda and the French tanks, and wanted a heavier tank than the Pz.Kpfw IV to speahead panzer attacks.
Whilst various medium and heavy tanks had been under development in germany since 1937, no immediate plans were in hand to supersede or argument the PzKpfw III and IV owing to the satisfaction felt with them. Within a week of the invasion of Russia on 22nd June 1941 the German forces came into contact with the Soviet Medium T.34 and heavy KV. I tanks. Both Russian tanks outclassed anything the Germans had, either in the field, or under development, and it was this which gave the impetus to implement Hilsters recommendations as quickly as possible.
The demand was for a tank mounting a gun capable of penetrating 100mm (approx. 4") of armour plate at 1500 meters (1640 yards); this tank, in accordance with current German practise, to have frontal armour capable of withstanding attack by a similar weapon. The gun advocated was an adaption of the Highly successful 8.8cm Flack 36, but the Ordnance Department were in favour of a smaller caliber weapon of either 6cm or 7,5cm provided similar A/P performance could be obtained. By utilizing a smaller calber gun the total size, and therefor the weight, of the projected vehicle could be lower.
Whilst the performance of the 8.8cm Flack 36 was known, the smaller caliber gun still had to be developed. The arguments in favour of a smaller tank were so self-evident however that it was decided to issue two seperate specifications. The one given to Henschel designated VK. 3601 (VK-Vollket-tenhraftfahrzeug-fully tracked motor vehicle) being for 36/40 ton tank to be armed with the tapered bore weapon 0725. The one given to Porsche was for a 45 ton tank to be armed with the 8.8 cm KwK and was designated VK. 4501. Seperate turrets for both designs were ordered from Krupp.
Because of the shortage of tungsten steel essential for taper bore guns, Hitler ordered their elimination, including the weapon 0725. A total of only seven VK. 3601 prototypes were therefore produced, the last of these appearing in Paril 1942. With the cancellation of the weapon 0725, and in order to enable Henschel to produce a tank with the requisite fire power within the alloted time, it was decided to ustilise the turret and gun develoved b Krupp under the supervision of professor Porsche for the VK. 4501 on the VK. 3601 as well. A point of interest about this turret is that the sides and rear were formed from a single plate of armour 82mm (3 1/4") thick bent round into the shape of a horse shoe. Owing to this turret having a ring diameter of 6'-1" (185 cm) against the 5'-5" (165 cm) ring diameter of the VK. 3601 Henschel was forced to alter their chassis to accommodate it. This was done by widening the hull above the tracks thus changing the secion from a rectangular form to a "T" shape. Due to thses chassis alterations, the heavier gun, and heavier turret, the weight of the vehicle was increased considerably, and the desigantion was therefore changed to VK.4501 (H). This new project vehicle had the same main components such as transmission, final drive, and road wheels as were developed for the VK. 3601.
During development of the VK. 4501 (H) two versions were contemplated. The VK. 4501 (H) which was as built with the Krupp turret mounting the 7.5cm KwK 42 (L/70). This second version was never built.
By the middle of 1941 Henschel had made preparations for the production of 60 vehicles and even before a prototype was finished they had increased their preparations to cover a further 1300.
The first prototypes of the VK. 4501 (H) and VK. 4501 (P) underwent their first competive trials at Rastenburg in front of Hitler on his birthday, the 20th of April, 1942. The results of these, and subsequent trials were supposed to have shown that the Henschel vehicle was superior, theus production orders were placed for it. The porsche vehicle, known colloquially within the firm as 'Tiger' now drops out of the picture as battle tank, although the chassis of the 90 already ordered by Hitler and under construction were eventually adapted as the Panzer Jaeger Elefant'.
Actual production of the PZ.Kpfw 4501(H) comenced in August 1942 with twelve units a month. On Hitlers insistence, production was improved, so that by November 1942 the rate had reached 25 units per month. This increase continued and a maximum montly output of 104 was obtained in April 1944 after a total of 1355 had been built including prototype.
The designation PZ.Kpfw VI was eliminated through Hitlers order of 27th February 1944, the official designation from then on becoming Pz.Kpfw "Tiger" Ausf.E. which had in fact, appeared on official documents prior to this. The page consistion of the two view drawings shows a fairly early production model (Chassis No.250122) fitted with full equipment and battle tracks. as mentioned previously, in order to reduce the width transportation purposes, the outer wheel of each set of three was removed, narrow tracks were fitted, the outer portions of the front and rear mud flaps were hinged upwards and the side mud guards removed entirely.
In view of the size and weight of these vehicles it was envisaged taht difficulties would be met in crossing rivers by normal methods, for even in Germany not many bridges were officially capable of carrying their weight. The original specification therefore included equipment to enable them to submerge up to depths of approximately 13 feet (4 meters) and cross on the bed of rivers. There is no evixence to prove that this feature was ever used in action, tank crew being very reluctant to go under water.
Hitler ordered in July 1942 thatt the first 'Tiger' Company was to be ready for action by September at the latest. This was against the advice of his Panzer experts and Generals, who wanted it to be roughly tested, crews trainded, and then used fora massed attack in a spring offensive in 1943. Following Hitlers orders the first company of 'Tigers' were used in action on the 23rd September 1942 in a secondary operation, in unsuitable tank country consisting of swampy forests ner Leningrad. Here they were forced to move in single file along the roads which the Russians had covered with considerable numbers of well concealed heavy anti-tank guns. The results of this was heavy casualties among the 'Invincible' new 'Tigers' and complete loss of secrecy and the surprise that could have been effected the following Spring. Even worse was the fact taht due to the weather and terrain the objecive of this attack was not even gained despite the cost. The introduction of the 'Tiger' was therefore a repetition in its way of introduction of the British MK.1 tanks on September 15th 1916. After this debut 'Tigers' appeared in North Africa in April, 1943, Sicily, Italy, and North West Europe, continuing as fighting tank up to the end of the war. 'Tiger" Battalions were originally organised as independant units under G.H.Q. troops. Later it was decided to include 'Tiger' tanks in the basic organization of German Armoured Divisions, but this never took place except with certain S.S. Panzer Corps.
At the time of tis introduction the 'Tiger" Ausf. E. was the most powerful tank anywhere in the world. Workmanshop was of a very high order, and the transmission and steering were extermely complicated, requiring many man hours to produc. Some justification for the fully regenerative steering and eight forward ratios in the gearbox, which was fully automatic, was that the vehicle was very light to control. Whilst first class srews were available the 'Tiger' was an efficient tank, but as the standard of training dropped so the mechanized failure rate increased. The main drawbacks, apart from the difficulties of transportation, were a short range of action, due to a fuel consumption of 2 3/4 gals. per mile, and a slow turret traverse. Whilst the turret traverse was normally hydraulic, in case this became inoperative hand traverse wheels were provided for both the Commander and the Gunner. A factor which had nothing to do with the design or construction of the 'Tiger', but which tended to hamper its use, was a High Command Order that they were not to be allowed to fall into enemy hands.
Although the original idea was for an offensive tank, their lack of mobility and the changing strategy of the war led to them being used as more of a defensive weapon. In this role they were formidable, being completely impervious "Head On" to the British 6 pdr., American 75mm, and Russian 76mm although the British 6 pdr. could effect side penetration at close range. Unitl the advent the American 76mm. and the introduction of the Russian 100mm and 122mm guns however the 'Tigers' frontal armour was considered shot resistant.
The engine used on the 'Tiger; Ausf. E. was a development by Maybach of their range of 12 cylinder Vee engines as fitted to Pz/ Kpfw III and IV but of far greater capacity. On the first 250 'Tiger' Ausf. E. they had the same engines as were mounted in the Panther D, differing only in details, mainly to do with the mounting. For the remainder of production these engines were increased in capacity for a larger power output. These improved engines were also fitted to the Tiger B, and Panther Ausf. A. and G.
The Tiger I tanks had been active primarily in an independant heavy tank battalion (Heeres Schwere Panzerbteilung) formation under the direct command of the Army Corps (Korps). The H.S.P. itself existed before the outbreak of the Russo-German war but the history of the H.S.P. with the Tiger I tanks at its nucleus had began in the autumn of 1942. During the 1944-1945 period, production of the Tiger I got on the right track and its war tactics were fully completed. With this progress, the Tiger H.S.P. was much improved in formation and increased in number. By 1945, its number increased to 9 in the National Defence Force and 2 in the SS divisions. However, since 1942 there existed several heavy tank companies (Tiger Kompanie, or Schwere Komanie) as an exception to the above. These Tiger I comanies such as the 8th (later 9th) Company, were always attached to the 'elite' division of the National Defence Force and the SS forces.

...god damn my fingers hurt, enjoy everyone Very Happy

EDIT: I have Updated the Tiger I with custom normals. again, enjoy Smile

UPDATE: Colours changed according to the panthers scheme

Sd.kfz_003.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  362.24 KB
 Viewed:  14516 Time(s)

Sd.kfz_003.gif

Sd.kfz.181.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sd.kfz.181.rar
 Filesize:  8.43 KB
 Downloaded:  685 Time(s)

Last edited by SaneDisruption on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 pm; edited 4 times in total

Tyler Adams
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that is one HELL of a 200th post.

XD

Anyways.. nice tank.. well-detail'd, nicely sized.. ingame's needed for a real opinion, tho...

"Banned" RP here

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude. Epic paragraph. Epic tank. Making ingame screenies.

This easily enough deserves a spotlight. Voxels HAVE been spotlighted without ingames before, IIRC.

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Tyler Adams
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modder666 wrote:
Dude. Epic paragraph. Epic tank. Making ingame screenies.

This easily enough deserves a spotlight. Voxels HAVE been spotlighted without ingames before, IIRC.

Yes, but, IIRC, those were something like Stingerr's helis, which, (no offence) supposedly looked crap ingame..

"Banned" RP here

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very, very, nice tank IMO. hope to see a few in-game screens soon as it looks awesome.

I agree this should receive a spotlight.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh god, is that for real!? Unbelievably awesome voxel.

But it needs ingame before spotlight plz, no matter how godly the VV looks.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a second there, I thought Universal had returned. He and his long, realistic names and boring descriptions.

Then, I saw the horribly long line of text. Boorin...what is that at the bottom? Epic win.

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also; looks way better ingame than I expected.

Mind the debris and ruined buildings, I was enjoying some stock YR at the time.

kraut tanketry.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.84 KB
 Viewed:  14370 Time(s)

kraut tanketry.PNG

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i see you used the first version for the ingame, it looks much better than i could have imagined, thank you modder for taking that ingame for me ^^ i appreciate it, and to all of you who like this voxel. it was a pleasure working on my favorite tank ever Smile

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the new ingames...

Perhaps fixing the normals when it's faced in two ways. Quite bright. :S

kraut tanketry 2.PNG
 Description:
Oh hai, I upgraded your kraut tank ingame pic.
 Filesize:  77.51 KB
 Viewed:  14348 Time(s)

kraut tanketry 2.PNG

Jeeves
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brick syndrome. I'd suggest using a scheme that doesn't change colors on some angles. And brightening areas using the top-normal, so they don't look so dark. Definately a good voxel otherwise though

MSN Status: (if says mobile, talk anyway)

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Original content edited, colour scheme has been changed as asked. panther is also using this colour scheme, enjoy everyone

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shit..thats nice..but maby grey colouration will look more nazi like? Smile

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, agreed to VEFbl4E93SedEf... or however the name was ^^

yup, neptune size!

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, this coloration was used for the Afrika Korps... i can make a gray one as well for you guys if you would like, but it would look black and white, that is why i chose the afrika korps colours. but, i shall make gray versions for you all as well ^^

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the double post you guys, but i have a bit of an update, the Tiger has been outfitted with its natural color scheme, gray. enjoy everyone Smile

Sd.kfz_004.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.56 KB
 Viewed:  14230 Time(s)

Sd.kfz_004.gif

Sd.kfz.181 Gray.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sd.kfz.181 Gray.rar
 Filesize:  8.44 KB
 Downloaded:  441 Time(s)

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sh*t.....I want to make a ww2 mod...

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

People are already making a WW2 mod for RA2. I don't know the name, but i think it was Blitzkrieg or something like that. IIRC, there is a link to this mod on the main page.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's Blitzkrieg 1, and D-Day. :p

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Dutchygamer"]
Quote:

People are already making a WW2 mod for RA2. I don't know the name, but i think it was Blitzkrieg or something like that. IIRC, there is a link to this mod on the main page.[/quote

And what?That doesnt matter much..

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!