Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Creepy discovery
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:  Creepy discovery Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, this is what I was talking about. I'll do my best to explain it. Just before you all go happy screaming around in anticipation, I'm afraid I'll have to tell you this is merely showing what I discovered, it's not anything we could use too much, but it breaks several previous statements.

Anyhow, I was testing some scripts, I wanted to see wether some of the unused ones actually worked. That's when I made the discovery.

Hmmm, you can't have units appear in MP, right? Wrong. You can. And you can't.

I made a simple trigger spawning a truck... However, I accidentally forgot to set anything for the teamtype parameter (it turned 0, any other values like 1 and 2 caused an IE)
, so the reinforcement teamtype field was blank. However, when I went in-game to check out what the new script did, I saw something creepy. Instead of a truck, an APC appeared that deployed engineers. And more importantly, those engineers started running to capture enemy buildings right away. They were in hunt-mode. I was playing multiplayer! Yes, very interesting. Rolling Eyes

Who cares about a neutral APC with neutral engineers? It's not that interesting, it's just a bug! Wrong. There was another creepy thing about the engineers and the apc.

They were mine... It wasn't neutral.

Yes, I could move them around, the apc and engineer that appeared were mine. I could control them and break off their hunting-mode. Yes.

Weird, aye? Well, there's another weird thing to it. It was on a test map versus one AI player. I was playing as GDI. Facts about this anomaly:

- If first player is GDI, he/she gets them. In a player VS AI game, this means a GDI player will always get them.

- If the player is Nod and the AI is GDI, either the AI gets them, or they turn neutral.

- If both the player and the AI are Nod, you'll get an IE. Sad

If you enter an invalid value for the WP, the team will somehow appear somewhere in the middle on the top of the map. It's a fixed position, though. It has nothing to do with X and Y coords, or something. Entering -1 for the WP acts like a 0.

Aha, you don't believe me? Well, for the non-believers who think I turned into Sevelys with his Shipyard patch, I've got proof!

Play the attached map and destroy the ammo crates in the center of the map. Then gaze in awe at what happens, just like I did.

Yes, it's a stupid discovery, I know. But... I can claim it's my discovery... Right? Very Happy

discovery.mpr
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  discovery.mpr
 Filesize:  51.71 KB
 Downloaded:  247 Time(s)

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a weird discovery ..
I could only guess it's something like a default filler upper for some something or other.

[IIRC]
I believe the teamtype would be set to the GDI house, which as we know is the GDI player with the highest color in the color list -
1 Gold
2 red
3 Dark Blue
4 Green
5 Orange
6 Light Blue
7 Purple
8 Pink

And if there's no GDI it'll IE
[/IIRC]

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WTF TitanMark, exactly the same thing happened to me a week ago when I was testing out my multiplayer map. I made a trigger to spawn a truck, but I guess I did the same mistake as you did, and it spawned an APC which unloaded a bunch of engineers. I was playing without bases, so they didn't go into "hunt", but they turned into blue in remap. I was playing Nod, so I didn't get them, but obviously, there was a GDI AI with blue as color. Weird, huh?

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol, its because it calls the first thing on the [TeamTypes] list in the AI/AIFS.ini... thats why you get the APC #Tongue

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it doesnt explain the engineers Laughing

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

look at the AI.ini, the Script is a GDI one, first on the list... its a APC + 5 Engineers...

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh... It turns interesting, I'm going to test what House= does in this case, it's supposed to work for both houses... But the first player of that side is still the one who gets it. I'll see of what use this'll be. Smile

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, wouldn't it be the same effect as making a GDI-house team with a taskforce of 5 eng & 1 APC? #Tongue

The Team Black Index

Last edited by Team Black on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehehe, yes, that's right, how clever of you. Wink (Duh...) XD

I told you this was worthless Wink

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plus the fact you cannot give TaskForce's more than one house
e.g. House=GDI, Nod... this will crash the game

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only way things like this will ever be useful is if in Multilayer instead of assigning to GDI and Nod it assigned to player 1 and 2 and etc separately.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well that would be possible for yr if that bug isn't fixed. Anyone want to test it for YR?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, it would work perfectly for a 2-player Nod vs. GDI game.

Have the GDI player be gold and Nod player be red, and guaranteed they will start in the same place every time & get the stuff assigned to each respective house.
(well, in my experience...)

The Team Black Index

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't mapped YR in ages, like 2 or 3 years (I don't even have finalAlert on this PC >_>), I never really got into the game, but if I recall correctly, Multiplay 1, 2 etc. (or whatever they are called) don't work properly, they shared the same house number with some of the main houses and would be converted to them. That's just my memory, though, a RA2 mapper should shed some light on this... Which is highly unlikely because this is the TS mappers forum... Wink

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YR has special values for action parameters that need a country value that can assign stuff to a specific player based on starting waypoint. RA2 does not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon