Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Crescent Isle (2)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject:  Crescent Isle (2)
Subject description: map number 29. it was a quickie but i found it fun.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i was bored one night and quickly tossed this together based on the idea of having a small map played on a 'crescent' shaped island. It's not quite a great crescent shape...but meh it's kinda crescent-ish like...so here you have it...

Map Info:

Name: Crescent Isle
Map Maker: Ixith
Map Size: 50X90
Players: 2
Theatre: Temperate
Info: A fun 2 player map set in Temperate theatre. Not tons of build space but should be sufficient even for higher tech (though you might want to be space cautious). Resources near the bases are somewhat limited and include small blue tib patches and a green tib field across a bridge which is fairly safe for the players. 3 more green tib fields are in the area between the players via land routes and there is one larger blue tib zone area to harvest.
The layout of the map is crescent-ish like so that's the name. This is my 29th released map. Enjoy Wink

Might make an expanded version of this map but if I do it will be exclusive to another project.

Story: Just another battle zone. Though cartographers say a land highly polluted by tiberium lies to the east across a bit of sea.

Pics: Wait whats this?! Ixith made his own mega preview? Yea...I did...it has quite a few flaws such as not quite lining up right because i'm a bit lazy and it's not exactly the easiest thing to do in paint when you're tired. But hey...it's done...took me 6 ingame pics to do it..LOL yea not a big map really.

click for the even larger yet version.

and the map

Crescent Isle (2).zip
 Description:
the map

Download
 Filename:  Crescent Isle (2).zip
 Filesize:  351.62 KB
 Downloaded:  249 Time(s)

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks alright, maybe a tad too dark. Also, the cliff shadow doesn't affect the bottom-left pyramid, and why is there a lone veinhole on that island?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too dark for my liking. The Veinhole on the island will cause confusion for Nod AI's unless of course you've changed AIBuildsThis= in the maps .INI. Overall though the maps OK, doesn't live up to the quality as that of your other maps though. Mappers seem to be getting lazier.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Looks alright, maybe a tad too dark. Also, the cliff shadow doesn't affect the bottom-left pyramid, and why is there a lone veinhole on that island?

Too dark...maybe. I wanted a darker overall and start out lighting. The ambient value for that pic was 41 (or .41 if you look in the lighting section) and the darkest it gets in the loop is 35 while the brightest it gets is 70. Which are the same values I used for Lake Istelv I believe...though the actual color values are no higher than .82 IIRC so that makes it a bit darker. But whenever I map i do things based on what I can see of course and my laptop screen allows me to see more than my old PC monitor did due to it being newer and thus brighter and better contrast. So to me it wasn't too dark. Again...i'll try to get better adapted to compensating and not getting it too dark.
@Aro's "too dark for my liking" you yourself have used darker setting so your liking has changed as is expected over time.

As for the shadow and pyramid thing...not much I can do about that other than move the cliff or the pyramid a bit...though I'm not too worried about that. I'll just remember it for another time.

And the lone veinhole...
Quote:
Story: Just another battle zone. Though cartographers say a land highly polluted by tiberium lies to the east across a bit of sea.

Don't know why other than the tad bit of the story...but figured i'd throw it in there just for fun. Most people won't even see that in-game unless they get a reveal shroud crate. And as far as messing with the AI...the most the AI would do is build the Waste Facility and after that they won't mess with it of course. So regardless of adding that code in there it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Quote:

Overall though the maps OK, doesn't live up to the quality as that of your other maps though. Mappers seem to be getting lazier.

I disagree...i find it's just as good of quality as Imminitas Terra was, which you seemed to have liked a bit maybe not greatly because it wasn't a TI map but you said it was style nicely done on MSN. I also found it plays better with the AI...but then again who plays normal TS now a days.
But another reasoning might have been the layout type limits the amount of spacial area to work with so the cliffing is a bit weird for some of the higher areas on top of the crescent island. (where the villages are for example)
And one final reason might be because it was made in one night based on a random idea and due to boredom of other things.

anyways. Thanks for the comments guys.
why i made an overview on my opinion on pretty much every comment...i just felt like wasting time. LOL no seriously...i'm bored...work ended early today.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
@Aro's "too dark for my liking" you yourself have used darker setting so your liking has changed as is expected over time.

No I haven't. If you can link me to one of my maps which does have a darker setting then please feel free to show me.

Quote:
I disagree...i find it's just as good of quality as Imminitas Terra was, which you seemed to have liked a bit maybe not greatly because it wasn't a TI map but you said it was style nicely done on MSN. I also found it plays better with the AI...but then again who plays normal TS now a days.

It's nothing like Alcedonia Terra, the detail level in this map is significantly less.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You were right about the none of your maps being quite this dark...i now realize just HOW much brighter this laptop screen really is from my old computer monitor. XD Some of your old public maps used to seem REAALLLY dark to me...but looking at them again and wow...they aren't dark at all...

Aro wrote:

Quote:

It's nothing like Alcedonia Terra, the detail level in this map is significantly less.

lol notice anything? I said it was just as good of quality if not better as IT not AT. #Tongue although AT was detailed it's cliff work and a few other things was actually quite simple. Though i still believe that this map plays better than either Terra map i've released and that's what really counts for the average TS player. though my next terra map will dwarf them all

Also i've started an expanded version of it for 2 players...which i might then go and expand into a 4 player map XD I don't know...if I do one of those will be specifically for TS:CO as a multiplay map and perhaps turned into a mission map too. If i ever get around to truly working on TS:CO stuff again instead of doing other things. Rolling Eyes

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All your map names are similar, it's hard to nail it. #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon