Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Grassy Knoll Redux (2-4)
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Sharpshooter
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject:  Grassy Knoll Redux (2-4) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grassy Knoll was one of my favourite maps in the original Tiberian Sun. After seeing this thread http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31426
I decided to improve upon the previous attempt by Scorched Earth to adapt this map into Twisted Insurrection.

This is my first attempt to make a map, but I like how it turned out. I kept it pretty simple, didn't use triggers or anything like that. I might change that later though.

Screenshot 4.png
 Description:
Forest outside the city.
 Filesize:  950.88 KB
 Viewed:  6570 Time(s)

Screenshot 4.png

Screenshot 3.png
 Description:
Countryside. I was going for more pristine feel, something that was not yet touched by war and infestation.
 Filesize:  849.95 KB

Screenshot 3.png

Screenshot 2.png
 Description:
Little town was completely changed and expanded compared to the original.
 Filesize:  936.42 KB

Screenshot 2.png

Screenshot 1.png
 Description:
Oil pumps in place of Tiberium fields. There are a few of these little oil villages scattered around the map. They become crucial during longer games.
 Filesize:  787.08 KB

Screenshot 1.png

Grassy Knoll Minimap.jpg
 Description:
Wasn't sure how to make a preview that you guys have for official maps, but hopefully this minimap will suffice.
 Filesize:  13.62 KB

Grassy Knoll Minimap.jpg

grassy knoll redux (2-4).mpr
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  grassy knoll redux (2-4).mpr
 Filesize:  485.45 KB
 Downloaded:  77 Time(s)

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the screenshots it looks quite good, reminds me of JamesBond's TS map remakes. Too bad you didn't seem to use any invisible light posts to, for example, make the forest darker that its surroundings and give the river a nice glow.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Tib fields look rather square-ish, and I'm missing most of the scattered Tib fields (both green and blue) and the VHM. I also seem to miss the 'grassy knol' (with sniper/commando) the whole map is named after #Tongue

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trivia: I'm sure most of you know this, but the whole map was one big reference to JFK's assassination.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used this map often for my ai tests because its unshrouded. nice map to play on. its very low on tiberium amount and the south east player I think should reall get another access to his island. AI there blocks the bridge often or it gets blown up. Totally imba as well.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Trivia: I'm sure most of you know this, but the whole map was one big reference to JFK's assassination.

Even the name gives that hint. But the Sniper dude on a grassy knoll makes it certain. Bit of humour from the WW guys #Tongue

Sharpshooter
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Crimsonum wrote:
From the screenshots it looks quite good, reminds me of JamesBond's TS map remakes. Too bad you didn't seem to use any invisible light posts to, for example, make the forest darker that its surroundings and give the river a nice glow.

Are the dark lighposts ones called "negative ____ lighposts" in the editor? I don't remember them being in the original, so I didn't use them. I might add them in, if they do what you say they do.

Dutchygamer wrote:
The Tib fields look rather square-ish, and I'm missing most of the scattered Tib fields (both green and blue) and the VHM. I also seem to miss the 'grassy knol' (with sniper/commando) the whole map is named after #Tongue

The idea of this map was to make it look less infested than the original. To compensate for lack of Tiberium, I added the oil pumps. I playtested it a few times, and it seemed that unless you keep the game going for very long time, you shouldn't run out of money. As for the Tiberium fields being squarish, I actually didn't change their shape of them from the original. Also, what is VHM?

Crimsonum wrote:

Oh wow, now I feel silly. I actually didn't know this until you pointed it out just now. It makes sense now that you say it, but in all my time playing this map, I just never made the connection. I'll probably come back and edit in some triggers to reflect this though.

OrangeNero wrote:
I used this map often for my ai tests because its unshrouded. nice map to play on. its very low on tiberium amount and the south east player I think should reall get another access to his island. AI there blocks the bridge often or it gets blown up. Totally imba as well.

I noticed that too. The AI doesn't seem to repair bridges, and it is pretty easy to box them in if you blow up the one bridge that they have. Problem is, if you fix the bridge going west, then they are at the disadvantage because the southwestern player can reach them very easily. I'm not really sure how to fix it, short of making one of the passages to the island a cliff opposed to a bridge. I might play around with this when I have the time.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sharpshooter wrote:
Also, what is VHM?

VeinHole Monster. The map had one on the left side of the map, next to the hill with the armoury (and a blue tib field). In time it would destroy the armoury, but it would never threaten the top player's base.

Also, why I mention that you lack many Tib fields is that the current state promotes turtling, as each player has its own Tib field, with no other (more valuable) to contest for. The oil derrick may be some kind of alternative, but unless a fix comes so that they work like in RA2, they aren't worth the effort of battle (as you sell them right away to get the boost).

Sharpshooter
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:
Also, what is VHM?

VeinHole Monster. The map had one on the left side of the map, next to the hill with the armoury (and a blue tib field). In time it would destroy the armoury, but it would never threaten the top player's base.

Also, why I mention that you lack many Tib fields is that the current state promotes turtling, as each player has its own Tib field, with no other (more valuable) to contest for. The oil derrick may be some kind of alternative, but unless a fix comes so that they work like in RA2, they aren't worth the effort of battle (as you sell them right away to get the boost).

I removed the Vein Hole Monster since it didn't seem to fit with the atmosphere that I was going for. I also think it was a bit unbalanced since it was only present on one part of the map, and not the other, which would put the two players on the west side of the map at a disadvantage when attacking one another.
I always thought that this map was made for turtling, with all the players surrounded by some kind of natural barriers. And yes, I agree with you about the oil pumps, they would be much more useful if they generated money over time. That would also make the game more dynamic, I think.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sharpshooter wrote:
Are the dark lighposts ones called "negative ____ lighposts" in the editor? I don't remember them being in the original, so I didn't use them. I might add them in, if they do what you say they do.

Yes, something like that. They're in the Light Posts section with all the other invisible light posts. TS had two - a negative light post and a negative red light post (IIRC it reduced the amount of red light, hence making the area near it darker with a cyan tint).

adamstrange
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really nice map but it doesn't play well when you have IonStorms enabled inthe menu.

The game begins to lag and then crashes.

I thinks its because of all the trees that are on fire.

Other thing is why was the map made as an .MPR format rather than a .MAP format ?

It would not show up in the list until I save it in the editor as a .MAP.

Would really like to see a bigger version of this but this map is really, really nice.

Sharpshooter
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adamstrange wrote:
Really nice map but it doesn't play well when you have IonStorms enabled inthe menu.

The game begins to lag and then crashes.

I thinks its because of all the trees that are on fire.

Other thing is why was the map made as an .MPR format rather than a .MAP format ?

It would not show up in the list until I save it in the editor as a .MAP.

Would really like to see a bigger version of this but this map is really, really nice.

Thanks for the compliments!

I made this map a while back, before enabling ion storms was an option. It wasn't meant to have ion storms happening on it, and like you said, all the buildings/trees/etc. would cause the game to slow down if they all get simultaneously damaged.

I think the previous version supported that MPR format. At any rate, just change it to MAP and it should be good.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The client does read maps that have the .MPR extension.

Vulture
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do I save a map as a .MAP?

I want to port a test map from a previous build over but I cannot get it to appear in the list.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vulture wrote:
How do I save a map as a .MAP?

By changing the file extension to .map #Tongue

For me the client does read .MPR files though. They are also parsed by the exact same source code as the .MAP files, so there's no logical reason for why .MPR files wouldn't work.

Vulture
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Succeeded. Was easier than I thought; when I attempted to change the extension in a previous occassion it didn't work.

Needed to move the file to the Custom folder in the map folder as well but it worked at least.

Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum