Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
cncnet under attack
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:  cncnet under attack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While waiting for someone to join my hosted DTA game, a guy called Smith joined.
A few seconds later dozens of auto-generated players joined and bombed the hosted game.

Using the log file i confirmed that all these came from the same IP address

The only way for me to stop this was killing the DTAlauncher task.

I tried it once again a few minutes later. Same attack.

Once again 10 minutes later, the DTA launcher and the cncnet5.exe both say, "connection limit reached" and the cncnet.org chat isn't available anymore.

I'm not sure if this happened in the past already but i think this is the first DOS attack on cncnet. Though a rather stupid one, as the IP address doesn't looks like a proxy, but the real one.
\Edit
oh, looks like this attack is done from a public internet cafe or restaurant from Sorocaba near Sao Paulo.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there an option to ban said IP from cncnet yet?

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it possible to check the hardware id? ban an IP is fine, but I can turn my router off and get a new IP.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So that's why the matches didn't go well at all...
Goddamn children, CnCNet should really make a system that auto-bans people in case of a flood/DDOS...

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since this guy wasn't listed in the Lobby, he might also somehow passed by cncnet and attacked me directly.
It isn't hard to check cncnet for the hosted games, get the IP address of the hosting person and then attack the hoster directly.

Right now it also seems to work fine again as i can log in again.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Launcher only receives traffic from the CnCNet IRC server, so he couldn't have attacked you directly. I'll look into preventing some of such attacks in upcoming versions of the Launcher, although being a client the options are a bit limited.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://cqcounter.com/whois/?query=187.56.89.17&map=1#map_geo_location

According to that page, it comes from a residential building in Campinas, SP, Brazil. The service provider is the Vivo, the most popular one in the state of São Paulo (Vivo belongs to Telefonica). I don't think this IP is static, due to the nature of the ISP.

This IP was never used in Revora and I don't have tools to find its usage in PPM. I've looked into posts from DTA forums and IPs from guests, but I couldn't find anything there.

hifi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Connections from single ip address have been limited to 6. No one should be able to do this kind of "attack" without creating a small botnet first.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe a (bad) developer pinging you to death accidentally?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!