Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
LKOs crap RA2 voxel
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:  LKOs crap RA2 voxel
Subject description: from more than a decade ago
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As the title says, they are all crap.
Bad or no textures, bad or no normals, bad or no details.
But as i was asked if i have a big mothership voxel, i'm releasing all of them. There is a very rare chance someone actually has a use for one of them.

You don't have to credit me for this crap, if you use it in a public mod.

some previews (no ingames, sorry. Those voxels died more than 10 years ago)

Mothership+ deployed state+ drone + plasma ring projectile (was dropped vertical from flying mothership)

Command sub + drone (was launched from submerged sub, thus the command sub never had to come to surface; imbalanced but fun)

\Edit:
oh, the img tags are not able to show gifs. Confused Well, you don't miss anything anyway. #Tongue

LKO_RA2crapVXL.zip
 Description:
my old crap ra2 mod inis are included, in case you want to rip some of the code.

Download
 Filename:  LKO_RA2crapVXL.zip
 Filesize:  704.41 KB
 Downloaded:  14870 Time(s)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stupid me. thanks

Public SHPs

Tools

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guess this is an as good time to learn how normals work as any.

Hahahahaha. Here's a thank you already, in case I get a use for them.

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like some of the concepts here, but yeah, the texture aren't great..

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A perfect training exercise for my voxeling skills!

I like the last one, I may use it after I change it a little.

Thank you, Lin Kuei Ominae, for the voxels!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess this is why LKO hates Voxels. His own attempts at voxeling ended up being crappy?  Laughing

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

10 years ago i was actually quite fond of several of them. Especially since back then no one (or very few) knew how normals work and "auto-normals" was a foreign word.
It was also the time when you had to use a tool to combine different voxel into one multi-section voxel, as VSE didn't exist yet (or i didn't found it yet). So i was also quite fond of the mechs, which even had a walk anim.

But yeah, after i noticed that i can create 100 times better looking mechs with 3dsmax in 1/100th the time, which also had more and better anims, the time for voxeling was over.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm damned certain I've seen that command sub already.

Otherwise inspiring stuff. I might end up using some. The hovercraft is damned cool.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Kamuix
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of them are alright i'm going to try some of them out thanks Lin

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
I'm damned certain I've seen that command sub already.

I don't think i released them before. Could be wrong on the command sub which i might have send someone via PM, but i doubt it (or don't remember it anymore).
Or just some coincidence that someone else had a similar design idea.

Graion Dilach wrote:
I might end up using some.

you're kidding right!? Confused But only to make a mod worse Laughing

Public SHPs

Tools

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting seeing your voxel work. They're still better than Aro's!

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

206UE
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some reason I don't think you used VXLSE_III. Even if I'm not amazed by these vxls, your shp work can not be surpassed. Nonetheless, I like the vulture and the ycpt. Good job on those ones, sir.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

206UE wrote:
For some reason I don't think you used VXLSE_III.

There was no VSE yet or it worked very bad for me, so most of those were created with "Will's Voxel Editor", if that tells you something.
Some aspects of Will's Voxel Editor were really cool and imo even better than todays VSE. It was super fast even on 255x255x255 voxel and drawing was a lot more intuitive imo.
Especially the emphasize depth view was better/correct. When looking from top down onto the VXL, you only saw the current plane of voxel and those below it. Not like VSE where you see planes above your current one too and this way have drawing plane voxel hidden behind higher planes voxel. (this could be changed already in VSE during the years)

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Especially the emphasize depth view was better/correct. When looking from top down onto the VXL, you only saw the current plane of voxel and those below it. Not like VSE where you see planes above your current one too and this way have drawing plane voxel hidden behind higher planes voxel. (this could be changed already in VSE during the years)

View -> View Mode -> Emphasise Depth.

It works exactly how you describe.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But LKO, you did not tell us that you were modding YR Very Happy

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MasterHaosis wrote:
But LKO, you did not tell us that you were modding YR Very Happy

sin of one's youth Wink

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if someone bumped then I'm gonna use the opportunity to ruin LKO's day: msub, b2st and stboat already found a home and it's just a matter of time to get v3hvr the needed liftoff to also fall upon that category. #Tongue

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If they're as old as LKO says they're decent for their time. They could still be used now, just needs alot of touching up.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will's Voxel Editor FTW! I still use it for all my vxls #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Quote:

View -> View Mode -> Emphasise Depth.

It works exactly how you describe.

Just tested and it doesn't.
See attached screenshot.
I've selected "Top" view, which means the way i understand it a top to bottom view or a view from top down onto the voxel.

Yet what i see is the current plane on Y 14 with the next higher plane on y15 covering/hiding the voxel on the current plane.
It should be actually vice versa. I should see plane 14, and all other planes below 14, but i should not see plane 15.

It also confuses me that not z is height, but y. Usually x and y are the ground plane and z giving the 3rd height dimension.

VSEview.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.07 KB
 Viewed:  8479 Time(s)

VSEview.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I've selected "Top" view, which means the way i understand it a top to bottom view or a view from top down onto the voxel

It's actually vice versa. Top means here a bottom-to-top view.

=======================

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But the "right" view is also viewing from right to left and not vice versa from left towards "right".
Same as "back" view is from back to front.
Confused

Public SHPs

Tools

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usually X is horizontal, Y is vertical, and Z is depth.  A few software packages swap Y and Z though (3dsMax does, while Maya does not, etc).  It's irritating because Z is used to denote depth in a lot of graphical applications which you wouldn't usually think of as 3D, so confusion is endless.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WTF, Downloaded 14575 Time(s) Surprised
Anything wrong with the download counter? That can't be correct.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're not even remotely funny. The missile submarine, the stealth bomber, the futuristic hovercraft and the spaceship-thingy are good and mostly only need normals.

=======================

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It wasn't meant funny.
I might have understood 200 or 500 downloads and that would've been already a lot imo.
But 14 thousand just seems wrong. Especially since they were on page 4 or further, have no text descriptions thus no forum search would find them, so i don't see how so many people could have found them.

Even my SHP pack has only 1787 downloads, and that one is spotlighted, on page 1, in my signature and it is 7 years longer online.

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The counter is not necessarily wrong. But it makes no distinctions between bots and humans. The voxel forum is more popular here and certainly on Google than the SHP forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!