Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:38 pm
All times are UTC + 0
New aircraft layer
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:  New aircraft layer
Subject description: concept idea
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

The last days I was messing around with aircraft. I was playing with the hover workaround. As many of you know already if you give an aircraft a speed of 3 or lower will result on making it not able to land. If you want faster aircraft you would have to use a very small slowdown distance. That will result that the aircraft circle around the cell forever instead landing.

Now that is not something new but ysterday I got a cool idea. What if we would get two layers of aircraft. More specific satellites and spaceships. Sounds crazy well. Crystallized Doom has a very complex timeline which starts after the firestorm events and ends about 70 years later. So it would be near year 2100. I want to make the late techlevels quite high tech.

Now lets say I give techlevel 10 space stuff. It would be a space cruiser with a high flight
attitude (to simulate another layer of battle above aircraft). This units would be only targetable by special space AA units. So actually this should work if I use a certain armor type just for space stuff. As it would be silly if a SAM shoots down a cruiser.

Another possibility would be satellites. For example an ion cannon control center. You would have to move it over the enemy base to shoot the ion cannon, but that gives the enemy the possibility to destroy it with space defense.

How to build satellites and spaceships? We could use the naval factory double owner trick here.

It's still a basic idea. But once I am at home this evening I write more details about it.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, everything possible.

Only problematic might be
a) TS has a very limited number of only 5 armor types (by reserving one for these you might get short for all the other types of units)
b) you have to give a very high range to those anti-space defenses, so they can hit the very high flying aircrafttypes
But both nothing that a bit trial and error can't fix

A big problem however are ion storms. Since there is no way to make certain aircraft immune to them, it would be strange if those big spaceships and satellites crash when an ion storm starts.

You could also think about using flying vehicletypes for the spaceships. Though all anti-space defenses then need a railgun weapon, but against such high flying units, any normal projectile based weapon might look bad anyway.
Only problem here is, that defenses/units don't attack automatically those flying vehicletypes.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some RA2 mods did the satellite etc stuff years ago.

Just that when you use high flying heights, they can rise too high on map corners and you won't be able to click select them at all as they are outside of view due to height which can be annoying for players not used to using select units of type etc commands.

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At least this sounds like it is possible, so once I reach this part, I will do it and see how it turns out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon