Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Unofficial Red Alert 2 mod (image heavy)
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [131 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject:  Unofficial Red Alert 2 mod (image heavy) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit: New location here!

Please checkout the github repository created for the Red Alert 2 mod here!

The readme should provide insight into the project's plans.

If you want to contribute or just chat about it join us in #orcaware on irc.freenode.net.

Have a great day, all!

Last edited by Phrohdoh on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:15 pm; edited 5 times in total

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll keep an eye on this. I already see some inaccuracies, so yea, expect me on that channel sometimes.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pointing out mistakes (with corrections) is very much appreciated.

I can't wait to build RA2 with you guys.

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The GUI is very "interesting." Can't wait to take a looksie.
EDIT: Also, your link to GitHub doesn't work.
EDIT2: Why not just have it use the vanilla rules.ini and art.ini instead of coding new things?

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the proper link.

The UI is the same as the RA1 one, no doubt a placeholder, and OpenRA doesn't parse inis. I'm sure there is a good explanation for that, but I don't know it.

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the information. I can't wait to see how this project progresses. I might even try my hand at using it.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, progress is looking beautiful. I really can't wait to play and mod this. It looks like it will be fun on the bun.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know I had no time lately to join to the IRC... but woah, you have snow terrain now?

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Graion Dilach, yes sir! In theory urban should be working now too, we just haven't tried it. Hope to see you again soon.

A WIP feature by pchote (that isn't merged yet, so can't be used, but here it is) will improve on this eventually™.

Last edited by Phrohdoh on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see the game is doing the LAT properly and progress seems strong. Guess it won't be much longer before there's strong competition to Ares.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, they won't even try that. I mean, hell, carbon copy was never an aim, so pretty sure it'll have feats missing for a loooooooooong while.

=======================

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More particularly, it'll have features Ares doesn't have and will provide an open source alternative to those who do not want to be tied down to the aging engine.

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My current mod relies entirely on a large number of Ares features. Features which OpenRA lacks.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The aim of OpenRA is not to compete with Ares.
If features are desired and useful then usually someone will try their hand at implementing it.

@dodgevipergts: If you would like to use OpenRA and need a particular feature you can request it on IRC, Github, or even here (though the latter will probably not be seen).

At any rate this comparison is a bit off-topic.

Back on topic:

Allied structures are almost done!

Last edited by Phrohdoh on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does OpenRA have support for random tiles yet?

Anyway, great job! Me likey.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Parasite03: OpenRA does not yet support tile variants.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not for TMP(TS) terrain, but for TMP(TD) and R8 tiles though.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you make custom maps for mod?

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The way that TS/RA2 define/implement their random tile variants is different to how the earlier games did theirs, and is incompatible with the current (really crappy) random tile implementation in OpenRA.  This feature will be implemented properly in due course.

OpenRA has two map editors, but neither of them currently support height levels.  For now, the only way to make proper TS/RA2 maps for OpenRA is to use finalsun/finalalert and then convert them using my (WIP) map importer.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How 'bout some action?

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the progress you're making and I'm really interested about using OpenRA for a future project of mine. Smile

Also, couldn't help but notice that health bar looks quite thin and doesn't seem to have enough contrast so the red would be enough visible. Could you make it a bit thicker? Or is there a plan to make the health bar more like TS/RA2 stylish?

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@DonutArnold, the 3D healthbars and selection bounds are planned but not implemented yet. For now making the 2D healthbars thicker may be a good bit of polish.

Thanks for the compliment. We are actually about to play a test 'game', if you can call it that. Wink

Still working out some visual kinks + AI:

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Da!

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After trying to explain my process quite a few times to different people interested in converting legacy maps to OpenRA I decided to make this tutorial, please check it out and give me some feedback if you have any.

I hope to show you guys some fun stuff soon.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AI values clearly need tweaking.

TiberianCall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW!!! how can I test it?

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder how good my voxels will look if I'm going to make a different mod for OpenRA using TS/RA perspective.   Razz

And looks like OpenRA has heights working now. I'm excited.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@TiberianCall You'll need to build OpenRA from source and install the RA2 mod.
This can be discussed easier on IRC.

@Zero18: It would be nice to see. Smile

TiberianCall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Phrohdoh I have not any Visual Studio, can I download pre-built version of the sourse code for using this mod?

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as I am aware (not a Windows users) you don't need VS to build OpenRA.

If someone were to build the engine and host those files for you somewhere (and you have the ra2 mixes) then sure that is possible.

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TiberianCall wrote:
@Phrohdoh I have not any Visual Studio, can I download pre-built version of the sourse code for using this mod?

Windows already should come with the build tools.

After you download the source, run make.cmd.

Type in dependencies let it run, then start it again and type in all to build ORA.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

TiberianCall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Phrohdoh

Build orocess is done,
.mix files I put in \mods\ra2\ folder

But when I try to load this mod, OpenRa is crash, and debug log is typing me:

"Failed to load rules for Blank with error Cannot locate type: RenderInfantryInfo"

What did it want?

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TiberianCall wrote:
@Phrohdoh

Build orocess is done,
.mix files I put in \mods\ra2\ folder

But when I try to load this mod, OpenRa is crash, and debug log is typing me:

"Failed to load rules for Blank with error Cannot locate type: RenderInfantryInfo"

What did it want?

The mix'es go in My Documents\OpenRA\Content\ra2\.

''RenderInfantryInfo" That's a different issue we are still using a old build so the code on our side compared to what is now is outdated, a really recent change in ORA is related to that issue.
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/7638

If you can make the needed changes.
That is RenderInfantry is now RenderSprites and WithInfantryBody together.
IdleAnimations is now IdleSequences ,StandAnimations is StandSequences now.
Could take a bit for us to update the code cause what other changes were made today and yesterday need to be checked.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last time I compiled that it used Visual Studio as compiler, so it does need VS.

=======================

TiberianCall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Graion Dilach Yes it is, had to download a trial version

@Phrohdoh,
@tomsons26lv
Thank you very much for your answers!! Now it's Work! =)

Though there was a crash on self-destruction of the Soviet truck with explosives, apparently it is very much explodes XD
I think this is what the development version, but I can provide crash logs

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Last time I compiled that it used Visual Studio as compiler, so it does need VS.

You can also compile from the command line, even on Windows using msbuild. Try double clicking on make.cmd for instructions.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So how hard is it to make a plain jane RA2 mod work with OpenRA ?

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@G-E: You would have to convert the ini to openra's markup, so depending on your approach it could be troublesome or pretty simple.

Edit:

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Annoying, lazy, bummy units in your way?

Last edited by Phrohdoh on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So... If I did my research right, OpenRa's engine is so modable you could even put Dune's carryal's and also water traveling Sand Worms on your RA2 mod right?

Where do I sign up?  Is the code too hard to learn?

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Nolt: Both of those are certainly possible.
It'd be best for you to join the OpenRA team over IRC on irc.freenode.net at #openra.

I usually lounge around there so feel free to poke me (or practically anyone else).

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Playing with some palette effects..

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh wrote:

This is COWTA!

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys need to make an ini converter Smile

Without looking into your markup, just the very fact that you have the ability to render everything identically means you have equivalent language, with similarly formatted values...

The big question is weaponry and warheads, are all the RA2 level options available yet? Or where are we still behind?

I'm very interested in porting my mod, since it looks like your engine's speed and ability will only improve, you could even support multithreading and other enhancements we can never expect from Ares...  right?

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh wrote:

I must say this very much intrigues me, we could make an actual WW2 mod *cough* that looks like WW2 footage hahaha!

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where can I get the developer version of this? (Yes, I'm talking about unreleased and unstable verision).

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zero18: openra and RA2.

You will need to rename the oramod-ra2 folder to ra2, and place it inside openra/mods/.

You will need ra2.mix, language.mix, and theme.mix in your OpenRA content directory.

@G-E: I invite you to take a swing at it. Smile

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Phrohdoh wrote:

I must say this very much intrigues me, we could make an actual WW2 mod *cough* that looks like WW2 footage hahaha!

I don't honestly see whats special about that, its just greyscaled palette for everything which is hardly something you need openra for.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum