Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
OpenRA Release 20150424
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:  OpenRA Release 20150424 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We are very pleased to announce the Spring release of OpenRA, the Open Source Westwood Studios real-time strategy games engine re-implementation project.

This release a huge step forward for the Dune 2000 mod in particular. It includes just shy of 1000 commits by 53 contributors, the culmination of six months of relentless work. With more than 2000 files and 210,000 changed lines it is one of our busiest development cycles to date.

A large development focus has been on the Dune 2000 mod, which contains the most visible changes. A new sidebar, sandworms and Carryalls are the big new features, which should make any Dune 2000 player feel more at home in our mod. Additionally, the OpenRA.Utility now supports importing maps from the original Dune 2000 game, so we hope that the number of maps and of course the number of players will increase in the near future!

The other mods were not neglected, though. In Red Alert, the standout feature is the support of playable factions such as Russia, England, France, Ukraine and Germany. In both Red Alert and Tiberian Dawn, new single-player missions are available that will keep you occupied.
Of course, we have not only improved the mods themselves. Here is a list of changes that affect the game in general:

• The server browser shows and allows joining games from any installed mod.
  • It is now possible to disable the “short game” mode that was forced in the past.
  • The player name and colour can now be set up in the settings dialog.
  • When creating a server, the game informs the host about port forwarding issues.
  • Left-click mouse orders have been markedly improved.
  • Some missions now support difficulty levels.
  • A huge number of smaller gameplay fixes and improvements, including:

• Friendly units blocking the exit of a production building will now move out of the way if needed.
    • Units will no longer hunt cloaked units.
    • The spy plane in Red Alert will no longer lure your anti-air capable units across the map.
    • Planes will no longer collide with helicopters and push them out of the way.
    • Your faction will not be revealed to enemies when you have selected a random faction in the lobby.
    • In sell mode, the tooltip will now show the expected refund value for structures.
    • Harvesters should now no longer block themselves at refineries, and also make use of all available refineries if the nearest ones are occupied.

• A similarly massive number of performance improvements have been made in this release.
  • Many race conditions and crashes have been fixed across the board.

For the complete list of changes, please visit our changelog page.

A note on key bindings: In the previous release, the key to toggle team chat was changed to ‘Alt’, which, looking back, was an unfortunate decision. It has been reverted to ‘Tab’ in this release, where it serves a double role: on an empty line, it toggles team chat, otherwise it auto-completes player names.

For modders and mappers, there have been quite a few important changes as well. We have introduced a new map format, to which maps running on this release will be updated automatically. All of the shared engine code has been moved into the OpenRA.Mods.Common project, so that third-party mods can drop their dependencies on our game mods. A lot of code has been changed to enable features that will be needed by the Tiberian Sun mod. One important change for Red Alert mappers is that the gem mine has been replaced with a new one. For more details, check out the changelog, as well as the trait and Lua API documentation.

Looking forward, we hope to get the next release out faster than this time around (famous last words!). Feature-wise, you can probably expect the first appearance of the in-game map editor in the next release, in addition to much of the things that are currently in our pull request queue. Beyond that, we will see… If you want to keep track of the development, keep an eye on the release milestone and the development changelog.

We will also try to make more use of our YouTube channel to show off new and little known existing features, provide mission walkthroughs and other content, so watch and subscribe!

Now enough with the talking! Head on over to our download section, grab the installer for your OS, and enjoy the game!

The long awaited sandworms and Carryalls have finally arrived in our Dune 2000 mod!

Red Alert now has playable country factions, and matching choices for random faction selection.

The server browser now lists games from all available mods, and also allows joining games across mods.

Some missions have received support for multiple difficulty levels.

In sell mode, the tooltip will now show a structure’s expected refund value.

Behind the scenes, the still unreleased, work-in-progress Tiberian Sun mod has received support
for some crucial features. Keep an eye out for more news and media about TS on our Facebook page!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice.

BTW, question. Are you planning to axe Mono when .NET gets finalized on all platforms?

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's some awesome updating right there. Ace work gentlemen.

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

err Matthias M. I have a problem with opining open.RA editor (It doesnt seem to open I have Windows 7) is there a forum that you can redirect me to ? ,also is it mod-able I am looking in fiddling around it, thanks in advance.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh one last thing  before I go along the forums,the RA2 (Phrohdoh is seems to be putting it together) open  Ra mod caught my eyes Can I make my own one (Custom Isometric Ra2 Like mod) ? or do I have to wait until the Team openRa dev's implement it before usage ?, I went to the main files of all 3 mode (Ra, Cnc, Dune) they seem editable, But by making a completely new mod do I have to overwrite one of them or do I need to make a new one as in a new selection in the main menu (Choose your battle field), final thanks.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can make your own. It needs it's own subfolder and setup, that's all.

=======================

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks GD, I guess I need to do my own study and fiddle around I tried it the  UI and getup of the mod seems very promising Smile

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You probably forgot to start the game and install the game assets via CD or download. Then the editor can't find them and crashes. That will be solved next version with our improved in-game map editor.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Modding-Guide has some instructions on how to make your own mod. I believe the documentation lacks behind so better take one of the official mods as a template and start modifying it.

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey matthias M. in OpenRA is posuble cutsom palette for voxels?
and the voxels in OpenRa use too the file voxels.vlp?

-good work

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as I know the VPL files remain unused.

Code:
RenderVoxels:
    Palette:

is used instead for per-actor settings.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blackhand1001
Medic

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I try this every release but the thing that keeps me away every time is the lack of a gamespeed option. Its just too slow. Takes way to long to get a game going. Not asking for a slider that you can change midgame. Just one in the lobby like CNC3 has.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you're not talking about MP, you can change the speed if you follow this tutorial.

I haven't managed to change the speed though, the settings file resets everytime I load a mod, and I can't find much literature about the topic.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

blackhand1001
Medic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am talking about Multiplayer. The game really needs it badly. Its ridiculous how slow the pacing is in it.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Timestep setting was disabled on purpose. It won't just work in multi-player and wasn't meant to be changed by players. The thread you are referencing is really ancient. See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/7014

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The game is basically locked to RA1's 'medium' speed setting, which absolutely nobody played on.

You could modify Build speed, so objects build like they did on the more commonly used 'Faster' speed setting

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I'm honest, the lack of the possibility to change the game speed (it'd be fine if you could at least select the game speed before starting a match and just not during a game) is making OpenRA a lot less appealing to actually play on...

The majority of the players online play at least TS and RA2 (and RA1 as well, for as far as I know) at 60 FPS and I know from experience that when lag slows the game down to the 'medium' speed setting, the rest of the match gets boring as hell.
Simply locking the game speed at 60 FPS wouldn't work either, because I have also ran into several less experienced players that couldn't handle that game speed.

So in my opinion (and I'm pretty sure this also goes for anyone that actually frequently plays C&C and doesn't primarily just mod it), the lack of a game speed option (that can at the very least be configured before starting a match) is a serious problem that needs to be addressed ASAP.
I personally wouldn't consider developing a mod on OpenRA without this, considering I'd want the people that download my mod to actually keep playing it for a good while, instead of getting fed up after just a couple matches.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it is a popular request. We are already evaluating our implementation strategy. A small slider, but it is a big feature engine wise with a lot of possibilities for regressions. http://logs.openra.net/?year=2015&month=05&day=11#19:43:11 So no ETA on that except after the ingame map editor and a TS mod that is ready for a preview.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!