Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:37 am
All times are UTC + 0
RCs Soviet cameos
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Which cameo do you like the most?
Left (Bricks)
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Middle (Hybrid)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Right (Lines and metal edges)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:  RCs Soviet cameos
Subject description: Insufficient data
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, PillBox20 (and myself, a little bit) worked today on the Soviet cameo style, as it seemed many didn't like the one we got before (the one to the left).
We got the new one (the one to the right), but we (I) can't decide which one works best. We also got a hybrid of the two.

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions?

RC Cameos.png
 Description:
Brick, hybrid and lines
 Filesize:  16.34 KB
 Viewed:  2947 Time(s)

RC Cameos.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO the tank is hard to distinguish because it has much less contrast/detail compared to the background and hammer & sickle.

To create better contrast:
1. Blur background or lessen bg details and make (vehicle/building/so on) details sharper
2. Drop color saturation from background and increase vehicle saturation if possible
3. Make greater brightness contrast between vehicle and background
4. (Optional/experimental) Use different colours for the background and the vehicle, eg. opposing colours (cold vs warm)

The vehicle is the thing you want the player to catch eye on and distinguish, the background and the other details are unnecessary/secondary compared to that. Right now I won't give my vote, but if you follow the above instructions, I will vote.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't place the hammer/sickle logo in front and over everything.
The most important part is the unit, not some faction logo that is the same for every unit of that faction.
Such place should be reserved for special tiny icons that show the role of the unit, in case the units cameo isn't clearly showing the role. Thus an icon is added to give the player more info about the unit, like a wrench icon for an engineer, a lightning bolt for a tesla tank, a crosshair for a sniper etc.

This is the way i would go
1. create a plan of the cameo layers
-background
-unit image
-special role icon & veterancy

2. create for each layer an image
-create an empty background which looks good (e.g. put the hammer sickle here, which can be even quite big, since it's most often covered by the unit anyway and only on smaller units you will see it)
-create some clearly visible unit images. maybe even add some kind of dark outline, so you get a nice contrast to the background
-create a set of tiny icons that you're going place in the foreground

then combine them and check the result

\Edit
as the background you could use something like this

just make it a bit nicer and you have your hammer&sickle logo, yet it wouldn't cover the unit. Maybe also make it darker and add some light effects, so the unit in front of it has a nice contrast.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies, so far!

DonutArnold:
I have added a shadow to the unit, to make it more visible. On Agent Z's wish I have darkened the unit, since it was too bright. The voxel has detail, but when I shrink it to cameo size it gets blurred, sharpening might help out here. With the background I totally agree with you. It outshines the unit. Blurring should solve this problem, maybe easing the contrast on it...

Thanks!

Lin Kuei Ominae (tricky to write it...):
The hammer&sickle is the icon for veterancy. It was an attempt to make unique cameo style. As the Allied Cameos have those gold pixels on the edges, we tought that the Soviets could use a different vet. symbol. The function tip icons sounds useful, will think about it.

Thanks!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

Last edited by PillBox20 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you intend to have all units in the same pose or are you willing to vary them between cameos? Because if the latter, then I think you should only try to get the front of the unit fit to the cameo and not the whole one.

Also brighten the voxel up.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach:
So far, Agent Z wishes them all to be in the same angle. What we are trying to make is a template for each and every unit with small adjustments to each cameo. Brightening the voxels sounds like a good idea.

Thanks!

Note:
I am just "his hands", should I say so. What he decides is what I will make. I only suggest.

PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Black silhouettes with catchy icons depicting their roles will be better imo. Honestly, using screenshots from HVA Viewer unmodified make these cameos look stupid and third-class.

And the third one's background is way too bright. It should lose some saturation and get darkened a bit.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think in all 3 previews, the units themselves are less eye-catching than the background, which IMO is bad. The background should be much less important, and therefore should feature less attention-grabbing colors - dampened natural colors would be nice. If it must be Red, let it be a very dark shade of it.

Moreover, the units would need more contrast than this. It needs to have its features distinguishable, and that means using subtle, smart coloring techniques to highlight those features and make the tank overall 'pop'. One suggestion here would be to add an extreme HDR like effect or that effect that Nokia used on its Lumia flagships for sunlight readability -- make the background immediately around the tank darker, while subtly making the rest of the background and the tank brighter.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trans_C wrote:
using screenshots from HVA Viewer unmodified make these cameos look stupid and third-class.

Nah.

All cameos I have are composed of three layers, with the background on the bottom (pretty much the same image I used for the RA2 observer button background darkened and with a color overlay on top), the actual image with the outline (outside on voxels/buildings, center when I work with a modified picture to hide AA issues - infantry cameos) and the chisel layer on top.

I did have a fourth layer during the time I modded RA2 for the veterancy icon, placed inbetween the image layer and the chisel layer but transitioning to OpenRA made that redundant, since OpenRA uses an SHP layer for vet icons and not a complete icon switch.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

Nah.

You have heavily modified them so that is not the case....

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tought that you were colouring them in PS.
I see that they have the orange as standard side colour.
I like your style, Graion.

Thank everyone for the tips! It is up to me  to fuse it good, now.
If it was for my mod, I would have posted, but it is up to Agent Z to decide.

Smile

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if we are all sharing cameos #Tongue

cameos.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.55 KB
 Viewed:  2662 Time(s)

cameos.png

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks for all the responses! I wasn't able to reply as I was away, and had login problems upon return.
Your suggestions are appreciated, we will work more on those cameos when we have the chance, especially on the contrast!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wouldn't it be better if cameos are released without any text on them?
If you need one, you don't want to rename your already established unit according to the cameo but vice versa. And deleting the cameo text can be annoying.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We finally got to try making this cameo style/background again! What do you think about this one?

Soviet BG MK. 4.png
 Description:
Also with a smaller Hammer & Sickle veteran-icon
 Filesize:  9.43 KB
 Viewed:  2309 Time(s)

Soviet BG MK. 4.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice improvement! At first glance the tank got my attention, not the bg or hammer & sickle which is a good thing. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon